Thinking ahead....

domane

Retired cob mum
Jul 31, 2005
Last year I bought Gracie one of those zebra-printed ride-on fly rugs and for the few times I used it, it really seemed to work. Dom said he was listening to the radio last week and they were talking about horse flies and people who are allergic - and there is definitely some scientific proof that zebra patterns confuse horse flies. So with this is mind, I have just bought myself a metre of this fabric....

20190223_170545-600x1067.jpg

..... And what I plan to do is fashion some double/treble thickness - or slightly padded "thigh chaps" that will go over my jodhpurs and basically cover the outside of my hips to my knees when I ride in the summer (My long boots or chaps cover my lower leg) I already wear a big oversize men's shirt on my top half, over my t-shirt and the horse flies can't bite either through two layers, or reach the skin through the billowy fabric - it works a treat, but they've still been able to get me through my jods!! With my newly-fashioned zebra-print chaps, hopefully my thighs will also be protected. The fabric cost me three quid, so its got to be worth a go .....you know how those blasted things are the bane of my summer!!! And I don't care how I look if it means I can still go hacking.

Reactions: Trewsers
Yaye @domane what a fab idea!!!!!!! I heard that the flies didn't got for the zebra pattern so much too. They really are dreadful though aren't they? Not so much here but back at our old house they ruined many a summer. I reacted badly twice and ended up ringing the Nhs helpline in a panic because I couldn't move my hand:eek:

You've got odd socks on.
That was the first thing I noticed too. I hate wearing odd socks and always change if I can, but for some reason I think it looks cool on other people. How mad is that?
Anyway, back to the thread. I think the zebra print theory works as Star had a lot less bother from horse flies when she wore her zebra print, I noticed more bites when I swapped to the normal one when washing the zebra

Hmmmm, I might have to try this! If I can avoid being kept in hospital for days because of fly bites, anything is worth it :)

newrider.com