third lesson and going strong

zoelouise

Oct 14, 2004
lancashire
Visit site
i had my third lesson today, i go once a week for an hour did some riding round on first lesson then second lesson trotting on lunge and today i got ride on different horse.
which is a bit more responsive than the last horse.
which i thought was brilliant what i had learnt and struggled with on my first horse i could put everything i had learnt into this new horse which is really responsive not lazy and always got her attention
but today i noticed my faults i thought i could walk do rising trot on my own and not on lunge and i could i did it and i could make her change transition but!!!!
i couldnt halt and i am really struggling my last horse june all she wanted to do was halt so i thought i was doing it correctly but it seems not because tilly wouldnt halt so i know its me
could i have some help please, my instructor thought i was squeezing to hard and making her walk but if i didnt with little less leg she didnt halt anyway. please help.

Tee Hee - Just replied to your other thread about stubbourn horses and teh fact that you will find riding different horses what make each one different and over time you will get to know what makes them tick .

With regards to halting with the stubborn cob you have a typical I'll-go-if-you-ask-me but you've got to keep asking me and te minute you stop asking me then I'll take it you want me to stop.
Whereas with Missus Quick response let's go horsey it's a case of ok you said walk I'll walk , trot I can trot .....yep still trotting I'm such a good girl still trotting - So to halt shorten your reins and lift your hands gently ! Have to admit Missus Speedy knickers caught me in switched off mode the other day having finally got her into canter on the right rein we slowed into trot and I was then instructed to walk and couldn't find the brakes so we carried on jogging round ......... doh my reins were too loose ! - So much to think about !

newrider.com