This time last year...

Prjsmk

Dec 1, 2017
Due to the horrendous spring weather/winter being stubborn i keep hearing this time last year.... So this time last year what was different at the ponies for all of you...

this time last year my cob was already back in work at least 3 times a week! Struggle to do that at the moment because of flooded fields/tracks and our usually dry fibre sand school keeps getting water logged! He had his rug off (no fill to keeo him dry) and his winter coat was coming out in clumps! Hes still currently in his rug and no sign of letting go of that winter coat! Fields was dry and green and he was loose in his field, currently hes stull fenced in a winter section so he doesnt poach the whole field! I was turning up in jodphur boots and jeans to do my horsey jobs , still currently turning up in waterproofs, loads of layers and hat and gloves! He was off all feed and haylage... Still on feeds (as in the poached section and grass is almost gone) and keep having to buy haylage because it keeps bloody snowing!

Add photos if u have any from this time last year and now to compare mine is last spring around this time and the snowy one is the weekend just gone whenwe had more snow

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    555.4 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    392.8 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: Trewsers
This time last year I was in the states with work getting sun burned :) I was also still field hunting as my old YO had passed away. The old field was just 2 over so the new land is pretty much exactly the same, its stayed relatively dry all winter and is drying up even faster and sprouting well. We were still having the odd frosty night but sunny days, in fact I think the horses were in their fly rugs by the time I got back on april 2nd.
Only pics I have are from end of Feb. and beginning of April, as I was away. The Feb. one, when we had that really bad storm, I can't remember her name now but she took half my roof off...
16864532_10154971123852246_8677438677287113448_n.jpg
And sunshine in April when I got home :) It must have warmed up a lot as hank was fully clipped for the new years day parade and really struggled to keep warm so had been rugged to the hilt.
17883931_10155114415272246_7587171467790107101_n.jpg

Well this time last year I was doing an amazing autumn road trip around the South Island of New Zealand and quite frankly not even thinking about ponies :p
I forgot what as life not thinking about ponies is like lol

IMG_1744.jpg IMG_1745.jpg IMG_1746.jpg This time last year I had just done the Kiplingcotes Derby. It was wet and muddy, but not as bad as this year because they cancelled it this time - someone walked the course on their horse to keep the race going (if it ever isn't run it will never be run again). A hunting pic taken the week before the race to demonstrate the mud, a pic of the course taken in the week leading up to the race and a pic of the off. Hope next year they have better ground conditions!

I haven't got any recent pics because it's not been worth taking any :oops:

Last year I was oblivious of what lay ahead for the Doll and I :( some concern about not shedding and curly coat etc but nothing too bad .......this year everyone still wrapped up tight in their rugs 24/7 and never knowing from one day to the next are you taking you life in your hands when you go in the field or bring her in , with my dear old Queen of Ireland. Heartbroken doesn't come near to describing it - ho hum:rolleyes:
doll 2017.jpg

Reactions: Trewsers and Prjsmk
Last year I was oblivious of what lay ahead for the Doll and I :( some concern about not shedding and curly coat etc but nothing too bad .......this year everyone still wrapped up tight in their rugs 24/7 and never knowing from one day to the next are you taking you life in your hands when you go in the field or bring her in , with my dear old Queen of Ireland. Heartbroken doesn't come near to describing it - ho hum:rolleyes:
View attachment 92180
I must have missed this, what's happened with Dolly?

Reactions: Cortrasna and MrC
View attachment 92180

Now I’m detecting sarcasm lol but also I think I’ve missed a chapter :(

I dont think I have actually posted on here about Dolly's problems - those who are friends with me on facebook will probably have seen that she has some major behavioural issues this past 3 or 4 months. Actually quite dangerous from time to time. She has tried to attack me a couple of times when I went to get her in - last time I had just got the headcollar over her nose and up she went lashing out at me with her fronts and the galloping off.

Waited until she stood still...walked after her a few minutes later and she calmly let me put the headcollar on and walked in like a saint. Also gone for both my son and myself together and separately on a few occasions now - only place of safety is to throw yourself over the electric into the hedge - terrifying. Even my normally fearless of horses son says she is now too dangerous and needs shot :mad: She has run straight through the fencing twice now and all the fields are covered in skid marks and divots from her losing it and galloping around like the devil is after her.

I attempted a ride on her one day when she seem her usual calm self - we strode happily out the yard like a pair of happy hackers - 50 yards down the lane she exploded, even when I got off her and tried to lead her she was going up and lashing out at me and trying to bite me etc. etc.....had to phone for help to get her back into the yard - she would netiher go forward or backward - just up. within 2 minutes of being back in yard she gave a huge sigh and sort of sunk back down to her normal height as though nothing had happened. heart breaking she has no idea I don't think that she is doing this :( she switches from enraged lunatic back to my happy old Dolly in the blink of an eye and vice versa.

Anyhow - on vets advise she has been taken off absolute everything feed and additive wise other than hay or plain chaff. Hew is to come back later this week or early next week to evaluate - unfortunately it has still happened 3 times in last few weeks since coming off any possible triggers. Hoping it is just hormone imbalance or something, but not too hopeful. Obviously I am banned from riding her for the foreseeable future.

I dont think I have actually posted on here about Dolly's problems - those who are friends with me on facebook will probably have seen that she has some major behavioural issues this past 3 or 4 months. Actually quite dangerous from time to time. She has tried to attack me a couple of times when I went to get her in - last time I had just got the headcollar over her nose and up she went lashing out at me with her fronts and the galloping off.

Waited until she stood still...walked after her a few minutes later and she calmly let me put the headcollar on and walked in like a saint. Also gone for both my son and myself together and separately on a few occasions now - only place of safety is to throw yourself over the electric into the hedge - terrifying. Even my normally fearless of horses son says she is now too dangerous and needs shot :mad: She has run straight through the fencing twice now and all the fields are covered in skid marks and divots from her losing it and galloping around like the devil is after her.

I attempted a ride on her one day when she seem her usual calm self - we strode happily out the yard like a pair of happy hackers - 50 yards down the lane she exploded, even when I got off her and tried to lead her she was going up and lashing out at me and trying to bite me etc. etc.....had to phone for help to get her back into the yard - she would netiher go forward or backward - just up. within 2 minutes of being back in yard she gave a huge sigh and sort of sunk back down to her normal height as though nothing had happened. heart breaking she has no idea I don't think that she is doing this :( she switches from enraged lunatic back to my happy old Dolly in the blink of an eye and vice versa.

Anyhow - on vets advise she has been taken off absolute everything feed and additive wise other than hay or plain chaff. Hew is to come back later this week or early next week to evaluate - unfortunately it has still happened 3 times in last few weeks since coming off any possible triggers. Hoping it is just hormone imbalance or something, but not too hopeful. Obviously I am banned from riding her for the foreseeable future.
Your previous post just rang bells for me, this is exactly how Jess was when we finally tested for cushings, she was a complete neurotic b!tch and was attacking everyone, I even had to stop YO from going in her paddock to feed her it just had to be thrown over the fence instead. Vet was adamant it wasn't cushings, but mare hormones, did internals, put on regumate etc etc, finally I convinced him to test for cushings, and he begrudgingly did with a "I'll eat my hat if this is positive"...just food for thought, sorry to hear you have been having such problems with your girl :(

Reactions: Cortrasna
@ Jessey I suspected last year that she may have cushings - she was very slow to lose an overly thick coat and parts of it if left unclipped were definitely curly. I asked the vet to test her then (spring 2017) but he said leave it until late summer and stupidly it was my fault that I forgot all about it come autumn as by then any signs of the suspect old coat had gone in the summer 2017. I have had to fully clip her this winter as her coat was just too much for her and she does seem to get too hot this past year or so (body temp regulator not working possibly with Cushings?) It is something I still suspect and might well have something to do with what is going on. I will be asking him about this again - and thanks for your post - it has given me a little glimmer of hope (y)

Reactions: Jessey
Autumn is the best time to test, the difference between positive and negative is greater, but you can test year round. ACTH is the normal test they do, TRH stimulation test is the more accurate though. Best of luck x

@Cortrasna so sorry to hear about the Doll and her behaviour:(I'm not on fb so had no idea. Can't offer any advice only good thoughts - hopeful ones that she will come right again once you know the exact cause.​

newrider.com