This wind

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
The wind is really stopping play for me at the moment and I feel like maybe I'm just being a pansy about it :oops: its was 35-40 mph at the weekend, but last night and today down to about 25mph... Its not the wind itself that bothers me, I've always ridden Jess up to and including in gale force, it doesn't bother Jess at all, she was backed on a wind farm after all :p

But last winter a branch (4" diameter type branch) came down in the forest and it missed Jess' bum by less than a foot (it clipped her heel), which made me wary. Once in the forest the wind is always less, but around the edges, on our in/out points, is where I see downed trees and branches after every blowy day. Other than the forest we have a 20 minute 'round the block' in the housing estate where I live or you have to tackle the busy high street to get out to farm land and lanes, not good to do during rush hour as traffic is often nose to tail.

Do I need a cyber kick in the ass?

Er.... absolutely not!!! Riding around trees in high winds should be avoided, in my mind! It's not worth the risk, especially as you have already had one very near miss.

I don't like riding in windy weather either. To be honest, this is largely a hang-up from Albi who really doesn't like it windy and was very, very spooky. (Even Jill has found this out and won't take him out either) So far, G doesn't seem as reactive but as I always feel unsettled myself anyway in wind, I haven't really pushed it.

Stay safe, Jessey xx

If its very windy and gusty I don't go out either. I think there is too much danger either from something hitting the horse or a flying scary bag causing a danger spook.

Reactions: Trewsers and Jessey
No, 25 mph isn't really high, but it can make you think twice if your hacking is in a forest! There's nothing wrong with caution.

Do you remember Rowan Atkinson "Will this wind.... be so mighty...."?

Reactions: Jessey
Up here there aren't many trees. We have to ride in fairly windy conditions most of the time otherwise we'd never get on board. But, we don't have added risks like branches etc. I wouldn't be riding if that was the case. Back where we came from was also windy and when it was up I'd only ever go in the arena well away from the woods. I think it's all about what you are comfortable with and your horses too. None of ours seems to bother, occasionally they can be a bit on their toes and we spook each other:p

It depends.
I rode out if you recall and a black sack from people's recycling blew up against a gate.
She spun me off into the road. That was windy enough to move debris.

This is one negative of this new recycling invention, it blows everywhere because two brains haven't put a brick in the empty bags/ container.

Jess isn't generally spooky, flying bags and flapping flags don't bother her unless she is in a really silly mood, then a parked car would be excuse enough to start some carry on :rolleyes: but that isn't often and at that point it really doesn't matter as she really will pretend to spook at the most ridiculous crap. I always did ride her in this weather (Bo was a nutter in the wind so never took him on these days) and never had a problem, BUT if that branch had of slapped her on the bum I can well imagine she would have shot off and I am not 100% sure the brakes would have worked.
I'm just thinking that at this rate I won't get out all winter o_O

Jessey, riding in wind down a nice country lane or in an open field is one thing, riding in a forest in wind is a completely different thing. I won't hack out if it's really windy, like Ophelia windy, because I worry about falling branches from the trees we hack past, there is no way you would get me in a forest on a windy day! Even at 25mph.
If your desperate and I know it's not ideal, the hack around the housing estate would at least get you out, remember 'a little bit of something is better than a whole lot of nothing' :)
Besides it can't stay windy forever :)

Reactions: joellie and Jessey
Mine didn't go out all last week, no big deal because I have the school.
We went out yesterday and she was fine.

I have to agree with everyone else, I wouldn't hack out in a forest if its very windy. 25 mph isn't extreme but it could be enough to bring loose branches down. You have to put yours and Jess' safety first , there will be plenty of other days to ride. I can only go one way out of my place hacking , I have to go down the road, halfway down it becomes windy and narrow with trees lining each side which meet overhead, I will not go out hacking if its very windy as I won't ride under those trees, there is always debris of branches ,twigs etc on the road after a very windy day.
So I don't think you need a cyber kick up the ass, you are just being sensible ;)

I have to say there are a lot of big trees along most of our hacking routes and oddly if I hack a couple of miles and go up into the forestry (private and trespassing :D ) it is almost always uncannily still in there whatever Hooley is blowing outside. I rode Dolly for the first time a couple of days ago and she was frankly a nightmare, obviously leaving her off for 3 months not to be advised but it was pretty windy everywhere and lots of debris still around from the storms. Today wasn't too bad no major gusts and rode her anyway because she just has to get working again, first mile or two she spooked at every flapping hedge and blade of grass, then settled and was marginally better.:confused: Fingers crossed for no more high winds, I don't think I have the nerve just now to hack her out in her present Diva mind set if it gets too blustery. :(

I think you are being sensible -But gusty blasts are more risky than a steady wind pressure I think. I rode Maisie on the day of the London Hurricane - very high winds and the YO was shocked when she got back and found rides had not been cancelled. Maisie was blown sideways slightly in trot and I promised her I would never do it again.
What I do have to do - constantly is to warn staff not to ride under trees in search of shelter - Since I started to ride, there have been two deaths from falling branches in the places where we hack. This is old woodland and is unpredictable even on a calm summer day. I dont know what a modern cultivated forest would be like, Jessie.
But agree it is a dilemma -Because of half term I had to have a school lesson this week instead of hacking out. And the lesson was dead boring.

newrider.com