Those with interior design taste...I need help!!!!

liz_scarlet

Jun 6, 2011
Roslin
Ok so just had a joiner put up new doors, skirtings etc last week which allllll need painted, OH and I have decided to decorate pretty much the whole flat....oh joy...let the arguments commence :help:
Main problem seems to be what colours make an acceptable feature wall in livingroom when sofa is brown with brown, cream and reddish cushion things and chunky oak furniture ???? I quite like the boring cream and stone colour we have but OH hates it....

Almost thinking of getting a new sofa to make this easier :giggle:

We have brown sofas, red carpet, pine furniture and have something very like this for our feature wall except the 'white' leaves are actually silvery. Looks nice and kind of pulls everything else in together to look like its meant to be rather than a random mish mash! Other 3 walls are 'buttermilk' (slightly darker and warmer than magnolia)

A dark/bold red usually goes nicely with cream/brownish colours, dependent on your room size you could go for cream on three walls with a feature wall with a red patter on the fourth?

Get a colour palette and compare and contrast the colour wheel, that may help. i have been recently doing ours- so am having 2 diff colours in some rooms- fav is a eggy white with a rosey violet- i like old colours- the windows are huge so have done a eggy satin cream- really impressed with that. there is loads that go with brown- tell you what does try a duck egg blue on you feature wall- thats fab with brown!!!!

When we built this place I told the builder NO PAINTED WOOD, it's all got a light coat of clear varnish on and can be scrubbed. But it can't chip or go manky like painted wood can.
I am very traditional in my tastes, have no idea about interior design whatsoever. I am not the person to ask, I am all for having the walls scrubbable and washable and in a colour that don't show the dirt......so I went and did this! Silly me.

I thought there was more of the dark leather sofas in this picture, the one you can see is the dog sofa! You can see the brown one in the corner. Rest of the sofas are dark brown leather. All the wood is natural and pale. If it won't wash you can just pain over the stains! :D :D

catsanddogs007.jpg

We have brown sofas, red carpet, pine furniture and have something very like this for our feature wall except the 'white' leaves are actually silvery. Looks nice and kind of pulls everything else in together to look like its meant to be rather than a random mish mash! Other 3 walls are 'buttermilk' (slightly darker and warmer than magnolia)

Oh I like that paper...but not papered before so may just paint and practice wallpaper in the spare room where no one will see it :giggle:

Thanks everyone....I'm liking the red or duck egg ideas. Heading to various diy stores this weekend with your suggestions in mind!!!

Spare room is red, cream and black...will need to shut the door from the living room or people will think the whole flat is painted the same :giggle:

Red and duck egg don't go in my opinion, i would go with the red wall as a feature then warm creams (yes you can get cold ones!) for the other walls.

Red and duck egg don't go in my opinion, i would go with the red wall as a feature then warm creams (yes you can get cold ones!) for the other walls.

Sorry Innocence it did say Red OR Duck egg not and :smile:

red with cream or Duck egg with a darker browny/cream.

Sorry Innocence it did say Red OR Duck egg not and :smile:

red with cream or Duck egg with a darker browny/cream.

Apologies, didn't read it correctly. I have dark browns, creams and duck egg blue in my livingroom but it's getting decorated after xmas so it will all change.

We have just decorated our dining room and used Homebase's Sanctuary range of paint (they might still be on Buy one get one free as well at the moment..) there was a little leaflet about which were recommended for the feature wall and which should go on the others and having followed that I am pleasantly surprised to find they look quite good.. And because most of the feature wall is going behind bookcases I painted 2 feature walls and two lighter walls and it still worked..

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wc...ot|Decorating|16849219&pp=20&s=Relevance&p=21

But really who comes up with the paint names?!:giggle:

That's not a Basset Hound it's a chaise longue... :giggle:

A very noisy, smelly chaise longue. Not mine, only doggy sitting. The two black labs are not mine, the mum and elder sister of mine. Mum is sitting on me....

newrider.com