Thoughts on Hunter Wellies?

Palomino Mare

Jan 22, 2007
I was just wondering what peoples experiences are with these boots?

I bought mine just over a year ago as i was destroying my riding boots by just wearing them all the time and i wanted a good quality pair that would last me.

When they were 8months old i noticed one of my socks was damp and stupidly i thought it was my foot sweating:eek: didnt thjink anything of it but as muckheap and fields got wet a couple of months ago i noticed it was definately a leak so asked OH to superglue them (didnt work)!! My dad saw that my sock was wet (aroudn the ball of my foot) and looked at the wellies - one of the seams has come undone and is irrepairable. The leak is so bad that my whole sock is saturated. Contacted Hunter who did get back to me straight away and as susapected cant refund me as they are 14months old (past 12month warrenty) but i offered to send them back for quality purposes as at 14months old to have buggered £55 wellies is ridiculous! But they arent interested? I must say i am disappointed, i'm sure if had a product with a good brand recognition(sp) i would want to inspect all suspicious defect goods.

Has anyone else had similar problems? Or even did your wellies just not stand the test of time that they are supposed to?

hey my wellies leaked after about 13 months, i wouldnt buy another pair of hunters as even though they are a well known and a good brand, they are so expensive and dont get much life out of them. mine had a hole through at the heels, they not very durable,
x

I've had Hunters for as long as I can remember, and they always last me for about 6 years. However, since the company was bought out by someone else, I'm sure they must have changed the rubber mix as the ones I bought from the 'new' hunter company are utter rubbish. They've leaked and perrished as much as a cheap welly and they are only just over a year old. I certainly will not be buying Hunters again as I don't like throwing my money away. Am on the look out for a new brand at the moment, any recommendations?

I've had Hunters for as long as I can remember, and they always last me for about 6 years. However, since the company was bought out by someone else, I'm sure they must have changed the rubber mix as the ones I bought from the 'new' hunter company are utter rubbish. They've leaked and perrished as much as a cheap welly and they are only just over a year old. I certainly will not be buying Hunters again as I don't like throwing my money away. Am on the look out for a new brand at the moment, any recommendations?

thats what i thought had happened, what a shame:(

well i've asked feo Dubarry's for my xmas but my logic behind that is they are so nice i'd probably wear them clubbing too:D

I have a pair of hunters that are very old and still sound but as CollieDawg said they have changed maker. I currently have a pair of Rydale wellies (the cheap stand at all the shows) they were only £15 and quite nice and have out lasted to pairs of joules wellies so far.

Ive had my hunters nearly 4 yrs and theres nothing wrong with them, i olve them they get me through the worst of the weather

My Hunters lasted about a year before I walked through a puddle and realised they had a split in the sole :eek: However, I had been wearing them practically all day every day through all sorts of conditions. I've now got another pair of Hunters but don't wear them much since I've got other boots which I can wear round the yard and ride in (I didn't ride in my Hunters).

To be honest though, before I got the Hunters I bought Harry Hall and Dublin wellies and they only lasted a few months before they started splitting - so I don't think there is such thing as a really durable long-lasting wellie. Mind you, for the price you would expect the Hunters to last longer and even if you were a couple of months over the 12 month guarantee you'd have thought for good customer relations they would provide you with another pair.

I bought new Hunters in Sept 07 - by June 08 they were stuffed! didn't bother contacting the company for a refund but did speak to one of the guys in the local tack shop who told me that Hunters are now made in China and aren't of the same quality - I didn;t bother buying more to replace these ones - just got wellies instead....

I just got a pair of hunter wellies but I don't plan on wearing them around horses. I got them just for rainy days, so they won't be worn much. And I have a feeling that they won't be getting the wear and tear that everyone else has talked about!

My hunters are going strong but i did only get them in january (after christmas sales :D).

I used to get loads of customers saying they had had poor experiences with hunters in the saddlery that i worked in but we did sell more of them than any other welly.

The brightly coloured hunters are not very durable but theyre not designed to be. They are 'leisure' footwear. Hunter make loads of styles of wellies which are designed to be more durable but this is reflected in the price (eg the hunter balmorals).

My hunters are about 4 years old and still going strong maybe before production changed. I have a pair of seconds that I bought from a local shoe supermarket and paid £30 for and are waiting to take over - they don't fit perfectly like the others but hopefully they will last me as long. Funnily enough we were looking at the new range today - silver and some glittery navy ones and they felt very soft!

I was going to get Hunter wellies for Christmas but I've decided not too recently due to the number of people who've said they're rubbish. From what I've heard the coloured ones esp are like festival wellies, fashionable more than practical and only meant for occasional use.

I'm getting the new Toggi Lady Wanders, they're dark pink like the Hunters I wanted but more practical and better features but still funky. Never say never if they're on sale mind :D

My first pair of hunters lasted over 10 yrs! the only things that broke were the buckles, and the soles ended up thin with no grip!lol!
I got another pair, and they lasted less than 12mths!

I went out and got myself a pair of muck boots, the riding ones, they are lovely and warm! but they have already started to leak!
and only had them 6 mths!
Things just are not made to last these days!:eek:

pretty useless, they might have been good a few years ago but i found that the last two pairs i had of them leaked and the rubber split within 3 months of buying them, then i had all the hassle of trying to get replacements or a refund.

i use Ariat boots instead.

Managed to persuade OH to buy me Dubarrys as my Dublins were fecked. They are the dogs bollocks!

BTW My hunters are ok too. I've had them 3 years?!

I have gone through 2 pairs of hunters wellies in about 18 months. I bought them with expectations of them being able to last for ages but they have failed. I thought that this is just becasue I wear shoes out quite easily as i walk funny so bought another pair but the buckles have come off and they are now leaking so need a new pair.

I bought the stormwell ones. They look just like Hunter, but were only £10. So even if they only last a year, thats fine I'll just get another pair at that price.
I did have some royal Hunters though years ago. They cost a fortune, but they did last.
I wonder though if the quality of them has gone a bit awry since every popstar and his dog wants a pair.

My Hunters lasted only around 8 months, and its a shame as I really liked them.

I wont be buying another pair based on the change of ownership.

My sister has a pair from before Hunter changed hands, and they're still going strong.

The new owners got a little greedy obviously - less expenditure, more profit.

newrider.com