Tips for solo hacking

Keep hacks short and on a familiar route until you feel confident to go further afield.
Always let someone know where you're going and for how long, plus take your mobile.
Sing! Or recite poetry or similar. The rhythm will relax you and make you breathe, and may well relax your horse too.
Check you aren't tensing up or taking a death grip on the reins.
Try to do something everyday. Routine is reassuring, plus you won't end up with a too fresh horse.

Is it you or the horse thats not confident or both.
I would say stick to a route you know perhaps vary which way you do it if its a loop. If you can add on an extra mini loop i find that helps the horse as you take him out of his confort zone then rejoin the loop so he kind of then goes oh that wasnt too bad. Back on what i know. Then the horse builds confidence.

I felt like this when I realised Hogan was better solo. Always preferred company with Ramsey. Agree with the above - singing is my go-to when I get tense. I have a favoured route which both Hogan and I enjoy, but I do try to vary things, so we both have a little challenge in our lives! (That's where the singing comes in!)

Reactions: Native Lover
Is it you or the horse thats not confident or both.
I would say stick to a route you know perhaps vary which way you do it if its a loop. If you can add on an extra mini loop i find that helps the horse as you take him out of his confort zone then rejoin the loop so he kind of then goes oh that wasnt too bad. Back on what i know. Then the horse builds confidence.

It’s me that is nervous but I have never hacked Mel alone so don’t know how she will be out hacking alone x

Can your partner walk with you, he lives with you so can walk two metres apart.
Or wait the three weeks, see if we are less restricted and carry on with your lessons.

Having sat on Mel, I don't think you have anything to worry about from her, she's a super star!
@carthorse tips are bang on, I'd just say KIS - keep it simple, start out staying within sight of G if he isn't up to walking with you, so you know he's there if you need him, then every time you get back from a ride and feel good (keep doing the same short rides until you do) know that you are ready to push the boundary a little more.

newrider.com