Tired today and some random thoughts...

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
I am really tired today, don't know why?! Anyway, it is nice to see certain birds again at home - we've got these black and white ones with long orange beaks - they're waders of some sort?! (I find a lot of bird books misleading in their pictures).
I've probs asked this before, but what birds do you guys notice around this time of year? We also have a little hawk that has taken up hunting residence mainly around our school, he was perched again this morning watching me ride Storm (more like looking for unsuspecting mice!!!).
Oh, and OH has just taken me to Maccy D's (he knows how to treat a girl!lol) and we fed the ducks and there was a poor crow (love crows) with a bad leg - but I gave him some of my ham butty. lol.
Even more random, OH says worms can live forever? (This was on the fabled Radio 2 that the workmen are listening to). Apparently so. Unless they catch a weird infection when chopped in half.
I really need to go do some work now.........

The black and white ones are probably oyster catchers. They are returning here in droves too.
We think we saw one or two gannets in with the other sea birds this last week, but the spring migration will pick up soon and then there'll be all sorts.

I love watching birds, but I'm not an expert at identifying them. My favourites here are the puffins, though we have to go a bit further afield to see them. I also love gannets and bonxies (great skua) which I can watch from the comfort of my living room. I miss the swallows which used to nest in the stables where we were before - beautiful characters.

Oh wow! Puffins, never ever seen those in the flesh! You are lucky. Yes, I love the swallows, they come to us every year, I know they do quite a lot of plop in the stables, but I love their burbling noise - and seeing the babies heads peeping out the nest makes me laugh every time....(its amazing how many baby birds can fit into one tiny nest!)

Yep - Oystercatchers! They and the curlews are the spring returners to the hill land. They come in from the coast, often in the evening, and follow railway lines and such in. Very distinctive call too.

Curlews spotted this weekend at Stocks Reservoir in the Forest of Bowland. The peewits/lapwings/plovers are back too...............

NO idea about the worms - sounds v unlikely!

I love the sound the curlews make - OH spotted some flying over the stables last night - they are like pterrodactils (sp?!) they are sort of pre-historic somehow..........

We have a resident woodpecker who has been laughing non stop today bless him/her!

Magpies, pigeons, the horrid herons, pheasants, swallows, some type of bird of prey. There's 3 of them and they circle about "cooing" just love that sound.

Can't think of any more at the moment.

newrider.com