To take Hank or not?

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
So I have this beach trip planned in 2 weeks with a friend, we are going for 3 days with the ponies. I had planned to take Hank as I didn't want to leave him at home calling and fussing, advertising to the world that I wasn't around, I've borrowed a truck and trailer as T only has 1 spare space on her lorry, but now 2 of my neighbours have offered to have him. So now I can't decide if I should take him or leave him home, wwyd?

Obviously riding without him in tow is easier, plus we wouldn't have the restriction of his little legs and my friends mare was scared of him in the past though has seen him a few times in the field more recently and been okay with him. But on the other hand I was really quite excited to take him on the beach :p

I guess I could do a day trip to the beach another time on my own and take hank along....

I think Hank would love the beach but if it was me I would probably leave him this time with a neighbour so you and your friend could have the 3 days without him in tow and then as you have said bring Jess and Hank to the beach for just a day trip :D

Do you have to take him with you every time you ride out? If you can leave him behind sometimes and go further then I would take him with :)

I would leave him if you think he will be happy. Easier for you to have fun without little brother tagging along!
He won't be happy left at home, but its not like he hasn't been left before, I'm not keen on putting him at either neighbours as their fences aren't Hank height so I'd have to rig up a temporary containment, but he could stay home with cornflower and lamby and the neighbours just check on him...if he will settle and not alert the neighbourhood to my being gone.....

Do you have to take him with you every time you ride out? If you can leave him behind sometimes and go further then I would take him with :)
I wondered that, but I have no clue if he would be more stressed being left on his own away from home, and I eailed the lasy asking if her fences were low enough to contain a 32" mini and she replied saying they are standard height, some with hedges and I'm welcome to bring my own electric fencing.......

I've just thought of another idea, J who brought the horse at the traveler fair, her YO is selling up her petting zoo and their mini is going with it, I believe this week, so I wonder if she would rent me the paddock next to J for those days and J can look after him, I know its mini proof because YO's is only about 30" :) then he gets a little holiday too

Ah I thought he'd be with the neighbours who offered horses. Hmm. Might be a bit mean if he stresses being alone? Your last idea sounds good.......

They did both offer to have him in a temp pen, but C's horse is a funny bugger and has just got leccy fence (no power) and M's horses, 1 of hers can be funny to the point she has to keep her 2 boys separate and again she only has leccy and a perimeter fence that will only keep big 'osses in, so I think he'd be safer at home, and he'll still have their horses the other side of the fences anyway, Same with J's horse, he'd be the other side of the fence.

I think I'd leave him at home, especially if your friends horses can be funny. A separate beach trip at some point with Hank is a must though! Just so I can see the photos :p

Reactions: Jessey
They did both offer to have him in a temp pen, but C's horse is a funny bugger and has just got leccy fence (no power) and M's horses, 1 of hers can be funny to the point she has to keep her 2 boys separate and again she only has leccy and a perimeter fence that will only keep big 'osses in, so I think he'd be safer at home, and he'll still have their horses the other side of the fences anyway, Same with J's horse, he'd be the other side of the fence.

Ah so if he stays home he can still see others? Sorry, I'm getting muddled!lol

Reactions: Jessey
I think I've decided he's staying home, I liked the thought of him staying elsewhere so as not to advertise that I'm not there, but the reality is the thought has caused me more stress worrying about him staying where he's put, I've never taken him away from home over night so I just have no idea how he will react and I don't want his first time to be when I am leaving someone else to deal with any chaos he may get into :rolleyes: I'd like to take him with us, perhaps next time once I've scoped out their fences properly with that in mind as I have equal concerns about him not staying put there, he's not an escape artist but at 32" fences have to be appropriate.

newrider.com