today I have reached a new low!

notpoodle

Jul 16, 2003
Brighton!
Visit site
... it;s bad enough I cannot vault non appley (who is 12.1h!! dont want to get on using stirrups as saddle likely to come my way and wouldnt be comfy for her either!), but today I surpassed myself in the 'no shame' stakes :redface:

because there's tasty grass *everywhere* (or so it would seem to appley!) she likes to swing her bum away to be able to eat better after i lined her up by eg a ditch/gate/treestump, so I cant reach :giggle:

so today i enlisted the help of a random passer-by - he asked if i needed help so I asked him to give me a leg up (literally waving my foot at him going 'count to three and throw!') ... it then turned out he was on a language holiday and lives near where I am from in Germany! a very small world indeed!

julia
x

ps: the rest of the ride went well!! our longest solo hack yet! we trotted, cantered, met dogs ... i :wub: riding appley - she's such a dude! (and turning into quite the speed merchant!)

But on the upside you can hack out alone - and how interesting will your life be if you get different passers by legging you up?!

The trick is to teach 'over'. We started from the block - I leant over tapped the opposite hip and said 'over' and released/reward when she moved towards. She will now occasionally do this to voice but mainly I still need a prop - if I dont have a stick with me a pluck a long twig fromt he nearest tree as its the visual thing that seems to do the trick. It is a very useful trick and she will 'over' towards the nearest rock/fence/hump I can find.

I havent ever been brave enough to ask for a leg up (I have a tendancy to fly over the other side anyway) but someone insisted on watching me get on the other day and as I swung my leg up and over realised I had a huge hole in the crotch of my jodhs :giggle:

@ annareeves - she does do over nicely usually (her only being 12.hh its easy to reach over as well) ... on the yard, in the school ... just not when there's grass to inspect :redface: what usually happens is that i 'park her up' beautifully, go round and stand on whatever it is i stand on (gate, treestump ...) and by the time i'm about to get on she swung her bum away from me again and is now facing me head on. and eating!

Brilliant! Bet you made his holiday that bit more interesting!lol. Think you're very bold asking for a leg-up - as annareeves says, I'd probably fly over the other side! Sounds like you had a good hack too!

sorry slightly off thread but how do you do this......i just cant get my brain to fathom it out:redface:

You just lean over the saddle and hold it, cassiebird. I do it all the time. Occasionally I've asked a passer-by to hold the offside stirrup for me - I'm far too heavy to ask anyone for a leg-up, even the RI!

newrider.com