Todays hack - for those who demanded photos!

Brychen

Aug 11, 2002
Visit site
Today was really lovely. We had sunshine and no rain a very rare combination here!

I rode from the yard up a lane and picked up the pennine bridle path. I could look back across the valley and see Manchester spreading out into the distance and beyond it as it was such a clear day.

The route I took ran from the top of the lane along a very very old packhorse trail then dropped down to a new but very pretty housing estate, all stone clad cottage style at Carbrook. Rode through the top of the village and then back onto the pennine bridle path. This bit of the route it incredibly old being the roman road that replaced a neolithic one! It passes by Bucton Vale castle an iron age hill fort sadly dominated by a modern quarry.

The track then waggles around the hillside high above the villages of Millbrook, Mossley (where I live) and Greenfields. There was a few steep drops and climbs which was worrying as the bits still in the shadow of the hill were quite icy. met two other riders heading the opposite way to me when pony disgraced hismelf by napping to them and then having a bit of a buck.

Last time I rode this way I was moving yards and climbed up to the path from a packhorse lane. This time going away from new yard I rode past the pack horse lane and continued along with the most stunning views of Saddleworth and the moors in the distance and various peaks. Dropped down a lane and then off the bridle path onto another lane which I guessed would lead to Dovestone resevoir. The panaramic views were fab. Met some nice walkers and had a quick chat. The lane finally petered out into a steep drop on a grass foot path. As I didnt have an OS map and worried that we might get stuck down an icy slope I opted to turn around and we headed back home.

For return leg of journey read above back to front! It took 2 hrs to get to turning point and 1 hour to get back!!

Sorry its long, but cant get over the fact that this time last year I was worrying about riding up a farm track for 10 mins to cross a main A road for the dubious pleasure of riding around a very very busy red brick housing estate. Now I can ride for 3 hours and only met one car (strangley a taxi picking up some fell runners halfway up a hillside...made me giggle a bit!)

Attachments

• 173.jpg
    173.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 174.jpg
    174.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 176.jpg
    176.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 177.jpg
    177.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 179.jpg
    179.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Sounds like a lovely ride, I chickened out of hacking out today, except for 10 minutes round farm yard as I thought it was too windy and cold for a fair weather rider like me.
From your photo's though I can see it was really pretty, you are lucky to have such a good place to hack.

oooo your so so lucky to have hacking like that!! am very jealouse!!
me and my sister went for a hack this morn but gave up half way it was way way too icy and dee skidded out-was scary. we only have hacking on the roads and a little track where we can go for little canters and gallops.
Sounds like your enjoying hacking out-have fun

Looks lovely.........fantastic scenery I could spend hours out hacking too. I need to master the taking of photos whilst riding as we have some fab hacking countryside around here too :)

newrider.com