Tomorrow is goodbye

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
I know I haven't said much on here about it but since November I've really been struggling with Little Un. He went from fighting fit and playing in the stubble fields - his play made confident riders look askance and ask if I was safe lol - to laminitis, PPID, even more rotation and thinned soles, then a head injury (stroke?) and an impaction colic and dehydration that end up with drips rigged up in his stable. Last week he seemed brighter and was starting to walk a bit, but for no reason I could put my finger on I wasn't happy still.

After more x-rays today he will be pts tomorrow lunchtime. No more sole depth in 3 months, if anything it's thinner, and after the head injury (stroke?) and colic I feel he's had enough. Even if, by some miracle, we could manage to pull him through there'd be none of the things that made his life worth living and it would only be until the next time anyway. I'm in pieces, have been crying all day. I wouldn't normally say no snide comments or suggestions on what to try, but this time I will because believe me we've tried everything and thrown money at him like we were printing the stuff. Say a prayer for him please x

Prayers for you both, I’m so terribly sorry to hear this, I know you’ve worked so so hard to help him manage his issues 😢

It’s the most heartbreaking decision to make, but the best way to repay them for all the good times. Thoughts and prayers are with you and Little Un.

Thank you all x

@Jane&Ziggy I hope you reach a point where an answer is clear to you, that way at least you'll have some measure of peace x

Hes lucky to have you listening and looking out for him. I'm so sorry and will be thinking of you X

Oh I'm so very sorry. Love and prayers to you and him. Of course it's the right decision, but we all know how hard it is to make. My heart goes out to you.

Thank you all.

@Frances144 in his later years he was kept slim and fit and could show most TBs a clean pair of heels even with me on. Ironically this spring, summer, and early autumn he was at his very best, right up until the point everything came crashing down 😢

I am so sorry, these are the worst ones, when you have done all you can and still it doesn't work. The emergencies are tough but when you have a catastrophic fracture or similar and nowhere to go at least you are not always wondering what if i had done etc. My Sasa still haunts me, the lost chance to save her.

Hope it goes peacefully tomorrow really feel for you, it's hard to decide when it's time but easier once you make the decision. You have tried so very hard to keep him well and sometimes you just have to say enough. In some ways there is relief that all the worry and constant anxiety is over as it wears you down.

Hugs.

He went like the gentle soul he was.

Spoiled all morning with the things he couldn't have normally, and so much mix that it was probably a month or mores worth of what he'd have had in full work - he kept nudging the bucket and asking for more. Then enough pain relief to get him to some nearby grass and you could see the change as he could finally graze for a while - we both needed that so badly. But watching him move even full of painkillers made me even more sure there was more to this than "just" laminitis.

heartbreaking for you. I am so glad it was peaceful and he left with dignity. Tomorrow will be worse, the empty headcollar, stable, if you can pack his things up so you don't keep finding them.

Have a large glass of wine tonight and be thankful he was part of your life.

newrider.com