Too Honest?!

KP nut

I'd rather be riding.
Dec 22, 2008
There have been various posts on ads that are not honest enough. Can you go too far the other way?
Ad popped up on FB: 'For sale cheap to settle a livery debt'.

Horse was actually quite expensive - for eventing.

Would anyone else worry about buying a horse whose current owner had not been able to pay livery for months ( it was a BIG livery debt!). What else has she not paid for??

I think I'd have stuck with 'change of personal circumstances forces sale' myself.....

Reactions: GaryB
It's no different from sold from the field.

You don't know what you are buying then because you can't fully try them out.
By law they might have to say this? It will be a large debt because if my brain escapes me you have to wait certain length of time before you can do this legally.

Don't think it matters what anyone writes in these ads, folk are going to come along and judge them based on their opinions - like the broken arm one - is that a good enough reason to be selling a horse? Maybe they should have written something else like change in personal circumstances.
Maybe you should offer your services as editor of horse sale ads!!

Reactions: Cortrasna
That one wouldn't bother me, though I'd want prove that the YO had the right to sell the horse. I'd expect that the sort of yard selling that level of horse would be keeping on top of things like worming, shoeing etc & just add it to the bill. The phrase that has always put me off is "not novice ride" or variations thereof. It's obvious that some horses aren't for novices, if the seller feels the need to emphasise this I immediately assume a significant problem & would have to love the look of it to even pick up the phone. Which is interesting because I know some very novice, despite years of riding, riders who wouldn't have the slightest worry about going to see horses advertised with that phrase.

Reactions: KP nut
Oh I assumed the owner was selling so he/she could pay the yard owner. Not judging- I sold Thyme because I could no longer afford her without the family msking sacrifices I was not prepared to ask them to make. Anyone can fall on hard times. but if i could no longer afford my livery then what other care costs would also be cut? But does this mean horse has been abandoned and yo is selling?

I'd read it as yo has taken the horse in payment, but again it would be something to be asked.

Your interpretation makes much more sense! I was surprised someone was so upfront that they hadn't been paying their livery bills. Ok ignore the post. The ad is fine! Actually horse may be a bargain if yo just wants a difficult situation rapidly resolved. Theres a sad tale here probably :(

I've seen several of these around our way. The YO confiscates the horse in lieu of the bills. It's always a shame for the horse, though I suspect not always for some unscrupulous owners...

Our local horse sales often have the wording...to settle livery debt in the catalogue, very sad but as the horse market isn't what it once was and maybe owners circumstances have changed then try to sell but can't and before they know it have a large livery debt to clear. x

Oh well it beats shooting horses like that livery place in Yorkshire. GG Centre? :mad::(

Re too honest, or not honest enough, I don't think most people realise the difference in perception of the written word, how vast the gap can be from how something is intended to how it's read, your perception of this ad @KP nut vs @carthorse is a perfect example (that's not intended as any kind of criticism). If you've ever had someone misinterpret a text or email, same goes really, plus the difference in what I call a saint/bolter/good mannered etc might be different to the next persons standards.

My pet peeve is that it's always the sellers fault for miss selling a horse, never ever do you see anyone say 'l vastly over estimated my abilities'....even when clearly that is the case. I know some horses are miss sold, but not all of the ones who don't work out.

Reactions: KP nut
Re too honest, or not honest enough, I don't think most people realise the difference in perception of the written word, how vast the gap can be from how something is intended to how it's read, your perception of this ad @KP nut vs @carthorse is a perfect example (that's not intended as any kind of criticism). If you've ever had someone misinterpret a text or email, same goes really, plus the difference in what I call a saint/bolter/good mannered etc might be different to the next persons standards.

My pet peeve is that it's always the sellers fault for miss selling a horse, never ever do you see anyone say 'l vastly over estimated my abilities'....even when clearly that is the case. I know some horses are miss sold, but not all of the ones who don't work out.

So true Jessey, I remember riding out with my YO one day and she said "Ziggy is so sharp". Sharp? Ziggy? Well, he isn't to me, but he is to her.

As for "vastly overestimated my abilities" that is true too and made me laugh!

Reactions: Jessey

True. Having a new horse is kind of awful! There's the immediate buyers' remorse, and then the bit when they test you and turn into a nutter, before it all settles down and you start to feel like you're getting to know each other. Maybe it's just me but that's how it's worked out with both of my mares, and I think it is the case with all but the most experienced horse owners, and maybe even them sometimes too. Plus you're suspicious anyway as there ARE so many dodgy sellers out there, so if your actually completely normal horse is a bit naughty you're more inclined to panic and think you've been sold a psycho. I think it takes at least a year to get to know a horse and for them to get to know you, and to begin to trust one another.

newrider.com