Took Max to a BE80 ODE: Now with XC jump pic

KP nut

I'd rather be riding.
Dec 22, 2008
Well that was scary!
It was a great day. I felt sick with nerves before hand and had my usual 'why do I do this to myself' head games. But it was all fine in the end.

Dressage: Max broke to canter twice Very unlike him. Grrr. My fault for practicing canter too much - he was anticipating in the wrong place. Even worse I scored a TWO for a section involving transition to walk at M and then M-B walk. Comments said 'no walk shown' which was just not true! He did not jog at all in the walk work. So no clue what happened there. Maybe I went wrong and transitioned to walk in the wrong place. But you';d think the judges would be able to tell that I had missed it and give me a test error of 2 points not score me a 2 - which was double scored as it was the walk section - to cost me about 8 points!

SJ went quite well - got to the last and thought 'yippee I'm clear' then knocked the last down for 4 faults. :rolleyes:

XC started badly with a fall just after the first. No idea what happened. One second I'm jumping the next second I'm on the floor. I think he must have pecked badly on landing as he also seemed a bit all over the place and scrambled up managing to avoid stepping on me, bless him. Then he flew the rest of the course. One fence was a HUUUUGE palisade with brush over and a ditch in front.It looked flipping massive. I was terrified walking the course. I just could not believe it was on an 80 course but apparently the solid part of the fence can be up to 85 and you can have an extra 15cm of brush. It certainly looked like it could have been a metre!

Anyway he sailed over it - fab pony!

@eml it was our first Horseware Island experience! He had no issues with it though!!

Next stop 70cm ODE with Amber......!

Reactions: GaryB and domane
A little shakey but thats probably a lot to do with nerves, I bet next time you'd rock it :) can't wait to see the pictures :)

Puzzled by your test remarks as BE tests do no include doubled marks and the only 80 one that has walk at m carres on MBXEK? You were very unlucky to meet the brush rule in an 80 I have never seen it below BE100 but Eland is known to be up to heght always. Well done for surviving the dreaded island!!

Puzzled by your test remarks as BE tests do no include doubled marks and the only 80 one that has walk at m carres on MBXEK? You were very unlucky to meet the brush rule in an 80 I have never seen it below BE100 but Eland is known to be up to heght always. Well done for surviving the dreaded island!!

Just checked my test sheet. Now I'm even more confused! The walk work is double marked (BE90 Test 91, 2009). And is MBXEK as you say which I scored 6.5 for. But I got a 2 for the previous move: C working trot, M walk. With the comment 'No walk shown'. Well I wasn't meant to be walking!

ETA but at least it wasn't 2 on a double marked move. I just assumed it was the walk work and so would be! But it was a trot move anyway. I wish I had gone to ask now. But never mind.

If you didn't walk until after M this would result in a lower mark but 2 seems very harsh!!
Fortunatey this is a test thats seldom used!!

'No walk shown' is not the same as 'overshot M'. It was a trot move with a transition at the end so the mark and comment just make no sense.....And if I had massively overshot M would that not have meant a lower MBXEK score? 6.5 surely means I was walking from pretty near M........ But I doubt this is of much wider interest to anyone anymore so I think I will just have to let it go!!!

So here is the Ditch Palisade. I am not good at estimating jump sizes but if that is 80cm I'll eat my hat! An example of the 'brush rule' @eml ?
They used the same fence on the BE90 course and the fence next to it is on the 100.

My heart was in my mouth on the approach - but he was a star and I really needn't have worried. Such an honest, brave pony.

25S_0100.JPG

That is defnately not an easy 80 but a full up 80 plus 20 brush!!

I don't really understand the logic of saying you can build fences up to 80cm then add 20cm extra on top! Is it because brush is not solid so horses can hit it without injury? So it somehow doesn't count as part of the fence?

Luckily I was so scared of the size of the fence that I forgot to be stressed by the ditch :eek::p

Reactions: orbvalley
Max looks great, Eland do tend to be bigger courses, I don't get the brush rule either, if I enter a 80cm I want it be 80cm lol.

Out of interest @KP nut how tall are you and how big is Max?

ETA he carries me easily but I feel too big on him. But hopefully Twin 1 can have many years with him as she is only 12 and quite small.

ETA he carries me easily but I feel too big on him. But hopefully Twin 1 can have many years with him as she is only 12 and quite small.

You don't look too big on him, just wondered as now I haven't got Charlie we have starting looking for another, different type of horse than Charlie and have found something that looks ideal but is 14.1hh I'm 5ft4.

newrider.com