Torch recommendations for the approaching change in season!

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Nights are getting darker and it won't be long afore I have to "commute" avec torch back to our house (thanks to the lovely Rumplestiltskin I can't have any outside lights at all!:stomp:) so, I need a reliable torch. Last season I went through 'em like water, either the batteries just got eaten up and it worked out expensive to replenish or the plastic doofers fell off! I don't mind paying a bit more - but really don't want to keep on spending on these rubbishy things that last 2 weeks then let you down!
Anybody got a really good 'un?:help:
Thanks

Hmm, yes interesting thread - although I do wonder if there are any super torches out there. My original head torch isn't too bad but does get through a fair few AAA batteries - but when it's bright it's pretty good. Cost me less than £10 from Tesco!

OH bought me a windup head torch last year for Christmas (he knows how to treat me!) but to be honest it's not worth putting the effort in to wind it up. So I usually end up wearing both & looking like a complete loon! Often coupled with a small, cheap torch in my teeth & another clamped between shoulder & ear (much like a phone!)

Oh the joys of winter... :wink:

i have an energiser head torch, it's lovely and bright, but I don't need to use it that regularly. Would it be worth investing in a battery charger and some rechargeable batteries?

My parents have a canal boat and have some really good wind-up torches that work really well and are super bright - not sure what the make is though :unsure:

We had some really good wind up torches too, but don't know what make they were either...Really need a decent headtorch though, don't mind battery consumption as we use rechargables but do object to paying £10 for something that falls apart 2 weeks later!

Have a look at the Silva range on this web site
http://www.aboveandbeyond.co.uk/shop/headlamps.html?gclid=CMaA9O-Lr6MCFREslAod8jLh2g

We use the 480 under the High Powered section - now replaced by the XCL. We have had our two 480's for 5 years and have only had to replace one battery pack. They are a bit pricey but worth the money. The distance and spread of the beam is excellent.

We use ours for training our sled dog teams in the winter. They are getting used about 3 or 4 nights a week for about 1-2 hours at a time.

Mandie

I like the sound of the wind up torches! Ooh, Trewsers the long winter nights just fly by.......lol......(I can see myself happily sat winding on a Saturday evening.....)
I think the general concensus (sp?) is that there isn't a definitive make that is perfect? I know this sounds daft but I went to a camping shop a bit back and looked at the head torches, but was put off cos I read the small print (story of my life!) and it said that you had to avoid direct eye contact cos they were led or something?! I am worried I will damage the horses eyes? You know, if they stare up at me????! Am I worrying over nothing? Guess I should just have bought one........and knickers to the detail......

I had the same problem last year. Got through a load of torches. My OH invested in a decent LED torch which was the best. Can't remember the brand but I know the LED ones are good. If I remember I will ask him, it was some technical all singing dancing thing, batteries lasted ages and it still works (miracle)!

I got through 3 head torches as well. The best one which I still have is one I got from Argos for £9.95. LED one with red and white lights, thought 2 would be good on a riding hat front and back. It was hardy (I snapped the other two) very good value for money and the batteries never ran out, also quite bright. I bought a friend one too and she approved.

Cimmaron - how fabulous, you have dog sled teams???????! Have you posted about them? If not, I hope you do, how interesting!

Thank you. I haven't posted anything about them here, but we do have a web page and if you are interested, you can read all about the crew at http://www.cimmaronsleddogs.com/ourdogs.htm

Haven't updated our blog for a while as the summer is our down time.

I am worried I will damage the horses eyes? You know, if they stare up at me????! Am I worrying over nothing? Guess I should just have bought one........and knickers to the detail......

Well I just asked an Electrical Engineer who I sit next to at work - LED lights will do no more damage to an eye than any other light. Looking into a direct light is obviously not good for the eyes and doesn't come recommended (especially if it's a laser!) but otherwise LED won't cause more damage than anything else.

Hope that clears things up for you Trews!

This might not help you Trewsers as your horses are at home but I used one that I charged up by my cars cigarette lighter - it meant that it was always charged when I got up the yard of an evening and I didn't have to worry about batteries, you do have to remember to plug it back in if you have been charging your phone though which I occasionally forgot... :redface:

The rechargeable halogen torch from B&Q - £15. Been fantastic. And it doesnt crash out suddenly, you can always click it on and off for a bit after it dies off. And then just plug it in the mains at home. I charged mine twice, mabye three timces oct-april!!!!!!

Its bulky, but not that heavy - but super bright, shines across the fields.

Head lights I would be interested in though - I want one for riding?

Maglites! Proper police torches, and they come in all different sizes. A bit expensive, but well worth the money.

I've also got a big orange one with a handle that I bought for about a fiver from Tescos which is brilliant - it takes those big fat chunky batteries - expensive, but last a good while.

Both will shine across a five acre field, but I suppose it depends on your horse whether a slimline one is better than a chunky one when it comes to leading them in.

I went up the yard very late last night and took a torch. My 2 wouldn't come near me even when I moved the fence to allow them more grass they wouldn't come near the torch :giggle:

newrider.com