totally clueless,info on competing needed

devonlass

May 20, 2006
devon
Have put this in cafe as is not about a specific discipline but mods please feel free to move if there is a more appropriate category.

So not for me as chances of me competing are nil lol,but My little sharer is getting on very well with Marb and I know she would be well up for competing him at anything and everything really and I would like to offer her some opportunities as she such a lovely kid and would be good experience for the spotty one.

I don't have transport and also even if could get hold of a trailer don't really fancy going out and about here,there and everywhere all the time so was thinking of putting Marb on one of the bigger yards that is more central for a few weeks and hopefully it would run some of it's own comps and others might give her a few lifts to local events.

So what I need to know is what time of year is best for doing a bit of everything or is that not possible??
She particularly likes jumping so is there a time of year traditionally when xc and other jumping comps take place??
I know dressage takes place all year round,but again is there a time that would be more frequent??
What about ODE's??

Obviously I am aware it depends on the yard for when they choos to run their own comps,but just wondered if there was a certain time of year that made it more likely she could do a bit of everything and there would lot's to choose from??

Apologies for numpty question:redface:
I have done a bit of showing so know about time frames for that,but as for other activities I have never been into it so never paid much attention ao all suggestions appreciated!!

It often depends a lot on the area you're in. Some areas will have lots to choose from whereas others barely have any competitions at all! I would suggest looking at competition schedules of local riding clubs, Pony Clubs, equestrian centres etc to see what's on in your area.

HAve you checked out the BHS site to see what is happening in your area, go to farm shops, tack shop and saddleries to see what events are running, many event organisers have leaflets and booklets advertising up coming events. What about joining the pony club they hold many events and kids learn so much from attending as well as having fun especially if they go to pony camp.You say you don't want to buy a trailer but you will be amazed at how convenient havigng your own is.

Not many yards run their own shows purely because of insurance issues and the hard work involved, finding volunteers to help, advertising, organising first aid etc.

I am holding an event at my yard on the 19th but it is only on a small scale and the yard has liability Insurance. Good luck on what ever you end up doing

Thank you very much for that folks,was very helpful.

I will try and have a browse on the net tomorrow for any local groups and what they have on when,but can't always get those sort of details,and some only put up what is on in the very near future.

Just trying to plan ahead really,as not anything have to do very soon (they still have quite a lot of work to do together,but coming on fast and be nice to have something to aim for),but if there was a good time of year for what sharer would really enjoy I could sort of plan for that time to send him off to a yard.

On the trailer thing,I totally agree would make life easier at times,but I have nowhere to store one sadly,and even if could sort that out as I couldn't tow it would also be relying on OH to drag us about which although he wouldn't mind some of the time,would be a bit unfair to expect too often.

He has offered to hire one and take us to the odd show,but just thought if could pick a time of year where was a lot going on would be great fun for the pair of them to be a on a busy yard and be able to take advantage of the activities.
There are a few yards in my area (one of them an actual equestrian centre and college that host lot's of events) that have a lot going on,but they don't list what is going on year round and I thought if I knew a bit more about what traditionally happens when I could form a bit of a plan to find livery either at those yards or somewhere nearby for that time.

Summer is always the best time of year, longer days warm sunshine sure beats cold wet dark nights lol, However a lot of places run indoor events, there are magazine that are sold in tack shops but can't recall the name of them just now but they list events being held all year round up and down the country so there is bound to be something near you. Is it Chilten and Thames or something?

Sure someone will know on here

Ditto to the Summer months being easier than the winter.:redface:

Have a look around local RC, venues and the normal BHS websites for events near you.

Enjoy:spin:

newrider.com