Totally fed up

dani_gurl

Mar 31, 2003
England, Essex
Visit site
Sorry for this pointless ramble but would appreciate thoughts.

Everytime I have rode Ralph lately he has played me up something chronic...we went for a hack on sunday and he jogged down the road the whole way home and last night in the school he refused to work and was a total git....but he has a loaner who he is really good for who rode this morning and he was fine.

I am not enjoying this at the moment and dont know what to do for the best...i dont think my part loaner could afford to have him on full loan...and hes a bit of a funny horse to ride so dont know if getting another part loaner would be a good idea and would be quite hard to do.

really fed up at the moment would put him on full loan tomorrow but feel awful taking him off my part loaner as they are brilliant but seems alot of money at the moment for something I am not enjoying at all......

ideas, suggestions and kicks up the bum most appreciated xx

There is a chance, he is confused with the ways he is being ridden. You both must have different styles of riding, so maybe stopping the share, or giving him time off, then getting an instructor to help could be the way to go.
I've found that my big 'un reacts very differently to different riders, some he takes the mickey of, others he's as good as gold.
He's remained ok for me, although I recently ended a share due to my sharer over working him, and put his back out. They asked more than he was capable of too soon. Instead of gradually building him up - it takes 18 months to build up a horse's fitness up correctly - they crammed it all in 8 months, he lost condition, and then lost his top line. Some of that was saddle related, but they were rather heavy, and he is still young (7) and his back has only just finished developing.
I didn't enjoy ending the share, but knew it was in my horse's best interest:(. Plus, I also knew I wouldn't be doing half of what they'd done, even if he was up to it:rolleyes:

i agree with the above, maybe he is confused- maybe you could have a chat with his other rider, and if there are specific differances that you could incorperate into your riding?

newrider.com