Towing trailer with Estate car?

Bibi

Sep 3, 2017
Hi there, I am new to the forum so hopefully I'm posting this in the correct place

Anyway, getting first horse in a few weeks hopefully, and was just wondering if towing a lightweight horse trailer would be possible with a Mercedes c250.

That's what my dad drives, and was looking at some light weight double horse trailers. Would only be towing one 14.2 who I'm guessing would weigh around 600kg? Trailer weighs 700kg unladen and is braked. All together with all tack and people etc it would weigh around 1500kg (pony might weigh less however).

Anyway, the car itself weighs 2,600kg and can tow 1,800kg. I know you should only tow around 85% of the maximum towing capacity, and 85% of 1,800 is 1,500.

When it's all written down it looks possible. I know we'd get some dissaproving looks from the rich horsey people but we really cannot afford a 4x4, no matter how ideal it would be. Everything seems legal so was just wanting some people's opinion or experience towing with an estate car. Thanks!

We tow one 15hh traditional cob with a 2.2 diesel Nissan X-trail estate.

I tow a 600kg cob in an Ivor Williams 505 with my Landrover Freelander, which has a max weight of 2 tonne. I think the weight is fine, the only problem you may have is if you have to park on wet ground, where a 4x4 is very useful!

I think your weight will be fine - if the manufacture gives a max weight the car will tow that weight. You will need a towing licence for that combination (B + E)

Also your towing weight is the trailer + the horse + anything in the trailer so 700 + 600 = 1300kg. Unless your 14:2 is incredibly chunky I don't think he is going to weigh 600kg. My 17hh horse is only 640kg

newrider.com