Toys for the field???

Huggy

Nov 11, 2018
Just wondered if anyone had a yea or nay opinion about horsey toys. Hogan doesn't even rush for food, and I thought perhaps a toy might get him moving around more. The popular one seems to be the jolly ball. Any thoughts? Thanks:).

Just wondered if anyone had a yea or nay opinion about horsey toys. Hogan doesn't even rush for food, and I thought perhaps a toy might get him moving around more. The popular one seems to be the jolly ball. Any thoughts? Thanks:).

Get him out in a mixed herd, best thing I ever did for Belle, she moves lots and they often have a good old blast around and play together.

Reactions: newforest and Huggy
If you can get him out in company that's the best "toy" there is. If he's a fairly laid back chap the chances are nothing will produce a lot of unnecessary movement, just like if you've got a high energy type they don't seem to get the concept of quietly mooching & insist on hurtling around even when you want them resting (sore point at the moment lol). I suspect Hogan is one that will probably have to be made to exercise!

Reactions: Huggy
Get him out in a mixed herd, best thing I ever did for Belle, she moves lots and they often have a good old blast around and play together.
My problem is that the other 2 in the next field include my 30 year old rather frail NF. He's been in this yard all his life, and I couldn't move him to accommodate Hogan, and Hogan and the other one are a pair of bully boys, - together I'd be afraid they'd harrass the poor old boy to death. I wish I could just bung them all in together, as I agree - best toy he could have is a herd!

Reactions: Trewsers
I brought a jolly ball for my mouthy playful Arab, he rarely paid it any attention :rolleyes: got a cheap yoga ball for nosey Hank, same thing. All mine want is food or anything I don't want them into :rolleyes:
:D that sounds about right! I've tried playing with him in the field, but he just looks at me like I'm certifiable and saunters off, leaving me looking like an eejit.:oops:

Reactions: Jessey and Trewsers
If you can get him out in company that's the best "toy" there is. If he's a fairly laid back chap the chances are nothing will produce a lot of unnecessary movement, just like if you've got a high energy type they don't seem to get the concept of quietly mooching & insist on hurtling around even when you want them resting (sore point at the moment lol). I suspect Hogan is one that will probably have to be made to exercise!
Yup! Think you're right. It was a vain hope I think, but checking on here has saved me £25! Cheers!

Reactions: carthorse
My problem is that the other 2 in the next field include my 30 year old rather frail NF. He's been in this yard all his life, and I couldn't move him to accommodate Hogan, and Hogan and the other one are a pair of bully boys, - together I'd be afraid they'd harrass the poor old boy to death. I wish I could just bung them all in together, as I agree - best toy he could have is a herd!

Well seems to me like you need to get another older horse to keep your old boy company and put the two 'bully boys' in together! ;)

Well seems to me like you need to get another older horse to keep your old boy company and put the two 'bully boys' in together! ;)
I wish! There's an old sweetheart of a Shetland next door, and they love each other but his owner doesn't want to move him.:(

Ive got treat balls for my two in the field. The food in them doesn't last long but my youngster does go back to it during the day and I often find them at the bottom of the field.

Ive got treat balls for my two in the field. The food in them doesn't last long but my youngster does go back to it during the day and I often find them at the bottom of the field.
Ah - didn't think of food related toy - that might work. Worth considering.

Ah - didn't think of food related toy - that might work. Worth considering.

The only problem is you want him moving about to help him lose weight! If he's lazy & pushes the ball about slowly he'll use very little energy to get the food in it & then lose interest once it's empty - my bet is he'll get more calories than he uses. They're useful for ones like my impatient welsh cob who chases it around so fast the nuts don't have time to fall out the hole, but then he'd run about anyway.

Reactions: Kite_Rider
The only problem is you want him moving about to help him lose weight! If he's lazy & pushes the ball about slowly he'll use very little energy to get the food in it & then lose interest once it's empty - my bet is he'll get more calories than he uses. They're useful for ones like my impatient welsh cob who chases it around so fast the nuts don't have time to fall out the hole, but then he'd run about anyway.
That's very true! My friend said she'd lend me hers, so I'll see if he's true to form and just guzzles, or gets excited (not likely), and goes after it like yours. I walked down towards him with some hay yesterday, then turned and ran back up the field with it to see if he'd break into a trot. BIG mistake - there was nearly a flat me on the floor. The ground shook as he thundered up behind me.o_O

That's very true! My friend said she'd lend me hers, so I'll see if he's true to form and just guzzles, or gets excited (not likely), and goes after it like yours. I walked down towards him with some hay yesterday, then turned and ran back up the field with it to see if he'd break into a trot. BIG mistake - there was nearly a flat me on the floor. The ground shook as he thundered up behind me.o_O
if you are haying in the field, my by far most effective tact is to spread it around, 1 handful every dozen steps, keeps my lot mooching all day :)

if you are haying in the field, my by far most effective tact is to spread it around, 1 handful every dozen steps, keeps my lot mooching all day :)
Good one! Why did that never occur to me! I'll start doing that. Thanks.

Reactions: Jessey
Yes I always spread the hay about for my two. They have a bit from one pile and then move to another. I put it all over the field.
Its surprising how many people I see putting it in one or two piles just inside the gate to the field. Then moan that the gateway is all muddy. It's one of my pet hates.

Reactions: Trewsers and Huggy
If you get a treat ball I would recommend going for one with a hole on both sides. I had the one you have above, and another make with holes both sides and the double hole on is much easier to clean out.

newrider.com