Training Suze

How tall is she? For some reason I'd got it in my head she ws around 16.2, but unless you're very tall that idea is clearly wrong!

Longer session today as we had a couple of misunderstandings or strops depending on your view. Started with tacking her up including knee boots for first time, and standing at steps and leaning over her. Then we long reined out to the field with me on the fore side for a change as she found that hard yesterday. Did well at first then lost confidence. Changed to doing some moving off the leg by pressing on the girth area - got it one direction, then found it hard the other, did it in the end. Bit more long reining where she was a bit hesitant and we had a few stops and turn to look at me and say what the heck do you want. Did another batch of moving over from leg bit easier than first time.Swapped to nearside on longrein to make it easier for her then a bit more on offside. Made her work through the things she found hard then she came back to yard, got a handful of cubes as a reward and untacked. Some of it genuine, some of it hot day don't want to do anything mum. Was firm with her and asked for an effort till she was going nicely then we stopped.

Reactions: Jessey
She looks to be about 15hh wide as well as high! Will she be wide to ride, do you think?
I thin she will be very comfy as she is short, bum him and saddle sits right down into her, Bud's fits her as she has lost a lot of weight and is very similar to him on withers. Measured her this morning, she is around 540kg and still has quite a lot of coat on her. She has a very comfy stride at walk, covers the ground, he is a bit more tall and lanky and bambi like, whereas she is very sure footed.

No training training but new experience for Suze. Mane washing. Shampoo going on easy, coming off more negotiable. We had to use a brush, then finally she allowed a cup of water to be poured on, then finally the large jug I use. then conditioner combed in. then some kill itch as she has been scratching. She was very good, eventually she was happy about it and cooperative. She just has never done this before. As I was soaked to the skin by then, washed horsebox by hand. Got most of it done, just not the high bits.

Suze loves being groomed, we did a big session which put her so to sleep that it was painful to ask her to work afterwards. We did a tiny bit of moving fronts independently of hinds and vice versa before she went back to sleep. Hard live being Suze.

• Haha
Reactions: carthorse
shortest session on record. She had lost her downward yield, sideways and flex with reins ok but no nose drop to floor. Found it this morning instantly. One ask one get, then praise and stop. This was what Ihave been trying to get for days and she does it, so no point in confusing her and asking for more.

Tell me how you found it! I'll use that method on Hogan.
View attachment 102281

We have made an amazing discovery, Suze has a rib.....just the faintest hint of one but it is there. I had planned to work on loading but trying to get the box to start so I can get the ramp down, so she is having a day off.
Tell me how you found the rib! Ill try your method on Hogan.

No training today other than the farrier came so he had to do them all solo. Left them with headcollars on and some ropes and he caught Suze tied her up and did all four hooves and she stood like a lamb and was completely happy about it. Proud of her. This is the first time she has been trimmed without me holding her or making a fuss of her.

After a gap filled by Buddy trying to turn my hair even greyer (needs colouring and cutting), suze and I are back to work, or rather I am not sure she is. We had a good session yesterday practicing moving off the leg and she has regained her vertical yield. Today she did her sideways yields and kept wanting cuddled instead of working....everytime we did something, she turned around and placed her head in my hands for cuddles. After lots of cuddles I had to put on my fierce trainer stance to get her attention. She did some good work. Going into flex, then long reining keeping the flex, halting, flexing, backing up halting and then forward. We didn't travel very far but she was having to listen and react all the time and she did it all very well. Then more cuddles....

did some nice work this morning. Flexing all directions then with 2 reins flex, walk on 2-3 steps, halt, back up, flex walk on. Did some tight turns around the uprights on the yard, including walking between one of the muck heap pallet bays and the trailer so a tunnel and narrow. She had a think about it, froze then waited for me to tell her it was ok. didn't try to run off or panic and waited for more information from me. She did some very nice accurate work, I am teaching her voice as well so that when ridden if she needs help she can rely on vocal command.

• Love
Reactions: Jessey and Huggy
newrider.com