Travelling a baby

jennywren07

Feb 5, 2008
greenford, UK
Hi

Jaspers coming home from the breeders on sat, ive got a transport company to move him in a trailer. The guy i spoke to said he normally travels them loose when they are so young so they can balance themselves. is this ok?

He's a 6month old welsh A so only little and hasn't had a great deal of handling so i don't know if i would be more stress than its worth to tie him up? he'll be traveling for 2/3 hours depending on traffic.

Also should i give him a haynet? He's only had hay from a rack before i don't want him to get caught up in it but i don't know if it'll help keep him calm??

Our two were 6months when we got them last year. The breeder took out middle partition of the trailer and put down a really, really good straw bed....don't remember seeing a haynet though....would be worrying incase they got foot caught I think...but mine were only an hour away or so!

We didn't put a haynet in. To be honest they were so shell shocked I doubt they'd have eaten if there had been one.

straw and no haynet it is then. He's a brave little guy so i'm hoping he doesn't find it all too scary. He's only had a little bit of turnout since he was weaned, should i turn him out when he gets home or keep him stabled until next day?

I've never had a baby of my own before it was always someone else who made all these decisions!!

We travel the fials loose & the really little babies tend to just lie down as soon as the trailer starts moving. The 18 months olds are expected to travel in their own partition with haynet & depending on their ability to stand and behave they are generally tied from about 18 months. They need to learn to go to youngstock shows, and I like to start as I intend to continue!

newrider.com