treating mud fever with pig oil and sulphur

maryglen

Oct 3, 2008
Does anyone have any advice for me ? My pony has had mud fever for some months and it just wont clear up. I have been using pig oil and sulphur for 3 to 4 weeks and I apply it every day. It formed a thick black scab which initially flaked off to leave good skin underneath, but now it wont budge and the mud fever is spreading up her leg. In addition to this her leg has started to swell. Am I applying too much pig oil and sulphur and too often.She needs to be turned out and although her paddock is not muddy, this weather isn't helping.Please help!

Hi Maryglen!

I am assuming you are not in the UK - I haven't heard of pig oil and sulphur before.

What I would say is that if it isn't clearing up and now her leg is swelling upwards, it is infected. The only way of treating mud fever when it is that bad is to keep the affected area away from mud/wet conditions.

Mud fever is caused by the skin getting so wet it can't dry out, then it opens up to allow bacteria from the soil to get in, causing the sores and scabs we see with mud fever. You must keep your pony's legs dry in order for them to heal and for any treatment to work. However, it does seem that there is an infection and you really should call out your vet for some antibiotics.

Good luck and I hope your pony gets better soon!

You should only be applying PO and S once a fortnight. Although in your case if the MF is that bad I would be more tempted to call out the vet who will need to prescribe Antibiotics to kick start the healing process.

I apply PO and S once a month. 2ltrs of oil to 2 cupped handfuls of Sulphur. Never known it to go black on the horses leg though...Maybe your horse is allergic to one of the ingrediants?? :eek:

Stop using the pig oil and sulpher!!

It is brilliant stuff,but you are only supposed to apply it ONCE and then not again for a fortnight I *think* it is.You should eventually be able to get down to using it once every six weeks or so,as I do on my mare.
I am fairly sure this is right but you might want ot PM coyote who is our resident pig oil and sulphur guru,just to confirm.
Am almost 100% certain though that you shouldn't be applying it every day for 3 or 4 weeks!!

The swelling etc could be a reaction to the overdose of sulphur,or just and infection from the already existing mud fever,either way I think it sounds like you might want the vet to take a look.

Good luck and hope it clears up:)

WEcho all the above - the sulfur might well be irritating her skin now, making the symptoms worse. Lucy has a LOT of feather and I get away with applying it after shows (every 2 weeks) in winter & every 4 - 6 in summer ... Her mudfever cleared within 4 weeks, but the scabs behind her knees are taking longer to shift (have heard it can take many months for stubborn scabs, but don't be tempted to apply more!!) ...

Agree with Devonlass that the legs going black could be an overload of Sulphur and you should stop using it at once...

Cloverfield1 - Pig Oil is an unperfumed oil. Which is used as a medium to keep the Yellow Sulphur on the horses legs. The oil acts as a barrier and the sulphur eats any bacteria. :)

I've never seen either in horse shops - where to you get it? And is it effective?

I've always used udder cream - as a barrier and antiseptic. And sudocreme to get the scabs off!

Could someone tell me please, what P O and S normally looks like in the bottle? I have just bought some of the premixed stuff, and was quite surprised that it wasn't really yellow at all. More like cloudy. Is that right:confused:
After appliying it, it is just like clear oil...:confused:

Sorry to hijack your thread maryglen:eek:. Hope your horse is well soon:)

Cloverwood- I bought my premixed stuff from Ebay. It is well recommended for mudfever, and lice/mite. Do a search on here. Theres quite a lot about it:)

I've never seen either in horse shops - where to you get it? And is it effective?

I've always used udder cream - as a barrier and antiseptic. And sudocreme to get the scabs off!

I buy it from my local tack shop and mix it myself...

Yes Ive used the lotions and creams that you use and they dont work on my coblet. The PO & S seem to bait it off enough for me to grow his feathers back with no sores...:D

Sheryl - I dont buy the premixed stuff as I started this almost a year ago prior to Coyote's Cousin selling it premixed. Mine is yellow when I mix it myself though.

Cloverwood- I bought my premixed stuff from Ebay. It is well recommended for mudfever, and lice/mite. Do a search on here. Theres quite a lot about it:)

Just out of interest and because there is a thread by someone at the moment seeking advice on it,can pig oil and sulphur be used for mites??

I have been using it for a year now to treat grease heel/mud fever,but am not aware it can kill mites or lice,how does it work for that then??

Genuinely curious as I was never aware it was a recommended and proven product for killing lice and mites,was not aware it ever claimed to be a cure for this either,just as an effective treatment for mud fever??

It certainly isn't killing the mites on the horse of other poster,hence why she/he is posting!!

Mites don't seem to like oily hair, so pig oil, Avon Skin So Soft, paraffin oil or baby oil will deter the pesky blighters.(Always being careful with pink skinnned horses to protect from sunburn when using oil.)

Captain is pink skinned on his legs and has been ok through the Summer with his PO&S on..:) But yes its definately something to watch. Especially for those who are using it as a Rainscold preventative on horses backs..

I have been using it for a year now to treat grease heel/mud fever,but am not aware it can kill mites or lice,how does it work for that then??

Lucy used to get those mite injections & other various treatments from vet for feather/heel mites. Since the 10 months of PO&S = no mites. So it's doing something!!

Lucy used to get those mite injections & other various treatments from vet for feather/heel mites. Since the 10 months of PO&S = no mites. So it's doing something!!

Interesting Soot,realise how it could work as a preventative,but still don't see what it contains that could kill them,on a chemical level if you know what I mean.Sorry for getting all technical but am genuinely curious:eek:

Perhaps will go and google it see what I can find out.I know some people 'claim' it can cure everything,and I have been most impressed with it for the treatment of mud fever,but am too much of a cynic to believe it is the miracle cure for all ailments lol.

I am prepared to be proved wrong of course;)

Definatlely worth a try, methinks!

Can you use the pig oil as a barrier before any mud fever appears - and how long does it last? i.e. do i need to apply it every day - or just every so often?

Interesting Soot,realise how it could work as a preventative,but still don't see what it contains that could kill them,on a chemical level if you know what I mean.

True, I don't know if Lucy had any mites at the time I first started using it. I rather think not ... I think the oil makes it hard for them to get to the skin & the sulfur is pretty caustic too but *shrug* Let me know if you find out anything!

You can use PO as a barrier. Advise would be to test a small patch first and once you know it will be ok then apply in copious amounts on the legs once a month. For the first 3 days the legs will attract all the mud in England. But it will soon slip off and start to protect from the Winter mud..:)

I have to agree I cant understand how it would cure Mites if the horse already has them other than the mites would suffocate in the oil and slip off. :)

I bought mine from Coyote's cousin and have just started to apply, i'm on 2nd fornightly application. His hair feels lovely already.

I researched on here and i understood it to be a prevention rather than cure (please correct me if i'm wrong!!:D) so if the skin was free of mudfever or mites it would act as a barrier to both. Mites apparently dont like greasy conditions as nothing to cling onto. :D

I bought mine from Coyote's cousin and have just started to apply, i'm on 2nd fornightly application. His hair feels lovely already.

I researched on here and i understood it to be a prevention rather than cure (please correct me if i'm wrong!!:D) so if the skin was free of mudfever or mites it would act as a barrier to both. Mites apparently dont like greasy conditions as nothing to cling onto. :D

Would say PO by its self would be prevention and PO&S is prevention and cure.

Cloverwood1 - as NN said would keep to once a month and agree to patch test if people are coming up with problems

newrider.com