Trotting in hand - how to do it well

tiga

Oct 29, 2007
Brighton, East Sussex
I am going to be doing an inhand Trec comp and some inhand showing and we have been working on the trotting in hand. :running:

Some questions:

What is the right position for me to be? By his head, shoulder - not sure?

He trots up quite nicely with a head collar on, but when practicing with bridle he was less up for it - may have been the heat though. What is the best way to encourage him to trot? Thought maybe someone behind him and then lots of praise when he does.

Any tips on getting the inhand trotting right appreciated.:help:

You want to be at his shoulder and he should be trotting freely alongside - not you dragging him or him dragging you. Carry a cane or whip (not sure if you need to for the Trec comp but certainly do it for practise) and get him walking forward nice and active. Then, when you are ready and you have his attention, give him a tickle with the stick (a schooling stick is best to start with) as you say "Trot on!" (or whatever your chosen voice command for lungeing etc) and you start to run. If he really won't go, team all of this with someone giving him a little chase from behind. Gradually, you can start to use less and less "outside" encouragement (ie stick, voice, person behind) and he will learn that you starting to run whilst leading him means trot on.

Someone behind can cause claustrophobia issues - I would use above methiod of schooling whip and give him a tap on the bum.

As a rule I never drag, or run ahead - have madams nose at shoulder when leading properly - and dont look at them, look where you are going - Im not sure what the theory is but by looking at them it seems to make them dig their heels in. Be abrupt and firm with the voice and hand commands - give a "tug" gesture if necessary, but make it short and sharp combined with a brisk "Trot on!" and away you go - otherwise you iend up in a dragging match pleading with neddy LOL

For showing you should be at the shoulder

BUT

Some of the led obstacles in Trec score highest when the horse is behind you on a loose rein, even in trot. The led corridor springs to mind, but also led inclines - if you lead up a slope in trot (or walk) you score maximum with the horse behind you.

other led obstacles like led ditch, led steps etc mark highest when you are at the shoulder :hot:

If you are still working on getting your horse trotting well in hand, I would stick to doing the Trec obstacles in walk until you are both more confident :spin:

Last edited:
Thanks. Will try that tonight. I have never tried with a whip. I tried to flick him with the end of the (long) lead rope last night and just got myself in the eye.:nerd:

He does trot in hand quite nicely with a head collar and I usually position myself at his head. It is when I tried it with a bridle that it went a bit pear shaped. Think we need to make the walk more active as you suggest Midnight Ashes.

He goes nicely on the lunge and is pretty good off voice commands. I usually say 'Terrrrrrrrrot' and we set off. He actually is a lot better at liberty, will trot with me forever in the field or in the school without a lead rope!

More practice is needed!

For showing you should be at the shoulder

BUT

Some of the led obstacles in Trec score highest when the horse is behind you on a loose rein, even in trot. The led corridor springs to mind, but also led inclines - if you lead up a slope in trot (or walk) you score maximum with the horse behind you.

other led obstacles like led ditch, led steps etc mark highest when you are at the shoulder :hot:

If you are still working on getting your horse trotting well in hand, I would stick to doing the Trec obstacles in walk until you are both more confident :spin:

See, I need to find out all those different rules - so confusing.:stomp:

I have done one Trec and we did the obstacles in hand (came off in the obedience test). On one of my comments it said, 'led by shoulder' but it didn't say if good or bad.

Do you know where I can find out which obstacles should be led from in front or at shoulder?

We are actually okay at the trotting in hand around the obstacles. It is more the obedience test, where you need to trot at A for example. But I take your point - we are just beginning so I think most of the obstacles will be at walk. The way we're going the 'walk and trot obedience test' could become a 'walk obedience test'!:wink:

Good job I'm only doing it for fun.:biggrin:

I'm not sure if it tells you in the Trec rule book - I will look tonight. I've never done one with the obedience test included - they all seem to be further down the country. :unsure:

I haven't done trec but if i jiggle the headcollar in a sort of 'trot-rhythm' and start to jog/walk fast then my welshie will trot nicely for me (if I have her so I'm at her shoulder and I jog she keeps step with me with her front feet which I'm quite impressed with :biggrin: ) - I'm not sure if I did anything to teach her this or if she learnt it previously tho, I discovered it when leading in from field in a hurry as late for work :redface:

Anna - the 'in-hand' refers to some of the obstacles on the PTV part of Le Trec (some are mounted and some are dismounted).

You could try Horse Agility. I haven't had a go yet (nothing close enough to us), but it is meant to be really fun. There is a proper club, organising training and competitions, and I expect there is lots down your way (just put Horse Agility into Google).

Ali xx

newrider.com