Tucked up

That's not much info to go on really! Could be dehydration, pain / discomfort, ulcers, gas, impending colic... How long has he been tucked up? Is it a one-off thing or ongoing? Is he drinking normally? Is he dehydrated (skin pinch test)? Is his TPR normal? Any other signs he's not right?

Hi Ellie and welcome :)

Sounds a bit odd - think we need more details - is it all the time or just at particular times, age, sex (if mare, any chance of her being in foal?), has the vet seen the horse?

His sorry was a bit brief! She is 8 she lost weight over winter and was in a bit of a bad way! She is starting to put the weight back on seems fine in her self and drinking normally, she seems to be tucked in just behind where her ribs end but only on the right hand side!

Could you maybe post a full side on pic from both sides so we can see what the difference is you're referring to? To me that picture doesn't look tucked up (where the belly gets sucked up), there's maybe a depression between the point of the hip and the ribs? But difficult to tell from this picture really as it doesn't show the whole horse (stance, posture etc)

Could be the angle at which the pic is taken but is his back swollen. My lad has suspected ks and his back swells exactly where its looks high in your pic. Im looking at the bit just where that left tree is.

Reactions: carthorse
That's not "tucked up".
Hard to judge from one photo so this is guesswork really but my spidey senses are saying it could be a sacroiliac / pelvic issue. The lack of topline muscle, her "jumper's bump", and the unevenness (ie. the fact that you have noticed this indentation only on one side) are all red flags.
Has she had her back checked recently or any kind of physio etc? Is she in work at the moment? Is she stiff or sore behind?
Did she lose muscle on the back end when she lost weight, or did she not have the muscle in the first place?
Would be interesting to see more pictures! Can you get a full-body side-on shot, and one from directly behind her when she's standing square?

Reactions: carthorse
Hi Thank you for your interest i have been looking back at her racing records and actually found she has previously had a bad fall that is the reason she is more hippy and drawn in on that side. i have spoken to the vet and they ave said it wont course a problem she will just need extra work on that side to rebuild the muscle. she is majorly lacking muscle due to not being worked while she gains the needed weight. thanks again!!

newrider.com