Turmeric users

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I started Jess on turmeric about 2 weeks ago, figured I’d give it another shot to keep her comfortable. Since the day after I started it one of the big horses (unclear which but I suspect Jess after tail inspection) has had one or two very loose poops a day, has anyone ever known it to upset tummies?

There was some cow pats in January, but that settled and has been perfect for at least a month, possibly as they got used to the haylage. It could also be a sand accumulation sign, so I’m going that route too.

I never used it, but I looked into it for Jim and decided against it because it can be a gastric irritant.

Reactions: Jessey
Not used for horses but I know it can do this to people and dogs. Generally fixed by starting on a tiny dose and building up.

Not used for horses but I know it can do this to people and dogs. Generally fixed by starting on a tiny dose and building up.
Yes start with small quantity and build up. Im sure you probably have.

It is supposed to support and aid digestion. So shouldnt in theory be a problem. I guess if theyve had nothing even similar in the body then it could cause issues.

Im using it again although in a different format to previous use. No issues before. Mine went on this new stuff about 6 weeks ago. No issues so far.

I started at 1/4 dose and have only just got to full dose but perhaps need to go slower 🤷🏻‍♀️ She had it a couple of years ago without issue but I mixed it myself, I went for a premixed one this time in the hopes of a more positive result. I’ll cut it out and see if poop normalises.

I started Jess on turmeric about 2 weeks ago, figured I’d give it another shot to keep her comfortable. Since the day after I started it one of the big horses (unclear which but I suspect Jess after tail inspection) has had one or two very loose poops a day, has anyone ever known it to upset tummies?

There was some cow pats in January, but that settled and has been perfect for at least a month, possibly as they got used to the haylage. It could also be a sand accumulation sign, so I’m going that route too.
No experience in horses but it upsets my tummy something rotten, I had to stop using it. 😬

I use it on horses, sheep and people.

horses = aids digestion, arthritis, calming = never given sloppy poop mho
sheep = ditto
people = fine except higher dose totally bunged me up, so back on lower strength
Very interesting, I’m sure it must have been it because it started within 24 hours of starting it and stopped within 24 hours of stopping and nothing else has changed. The only other thing I’ve ever known upset her tummy like that is bute or lush grass.

Very interesting, I’m sure it must have been it because it started within 24 hours of starting it and stopped within 24 hours of stopping and nothing else has changed. The only other thing I’ve ever known upset her tummy like that is bute or lush grass.

I use The Golden Paste Company - TurmerAid - https://goldenpastecompany.co.uk/co...roducts/turmeric-pellets?variant=35211889409- - I believe and trust in them. Always have. (you get 10% discount if you use the code LAMBIE10 too).

If it does not work for your horses, then please send it to me. I will happily buy it off you.

Just thought id update, cut the turmeric out until everything normalised and very very slowly reintroduced it and again when we get to 1 scoop (I think the recommended dose is 3 scoops for her size) she gets loose just 1 or 2 poops a day, persevered and after a couple of weeks it’s still happening.
It’s not bothering the little boys tummies so not a bad batch and seems to be helping Hanks stifles, jury still out for Dan.

Ive been using Tumeraid for the last couple of months. Ive actually upped the quantity the boys are getting. Over the recommended rate. It hasnt affected my boys poops. Maybe worth trying Jess on it.

Cant say whether its having any improvement for sure but since i upped quantity Billy seems less tight when i first get on him and start hacking.

newrider.com