Turning one gelding out with multiple mares?

Pencilbeckett

Mar 12, 2009
Staffordshire
Hi

I am moving to a new yard next week and the mares and geldings are separated. However there are too many geldings in the boys paddock so the YO wants to put Ozzy in with the girls, none are in season at the moment as far as i know but could this end in tears???? :eek:

We have a gelding at our yard who doesn't get on with the rest of the boys, and so get turned out with the mares.

They seem to get on fine, although there's only a couple of mares, not sure what it would be like if it was a large herd?

We run all of ours as mixed herds. Usually a mare is in charge and you get the normal pair bonds, sometimes mare/mare occasionally gelding/gelding but often mare /gelding. They also form little herds within the herd, normally with a gelding and a few mares. With plenty of space I have had less trouble with that than with seperate fields.

I would not be concerned about one gelding with lots of mares but would be wary the other way round.

Thanks for the replies feeling a little better. Ozzy has a really strong bond with his gelding field mate at the moment so the move is going to be very sad. I am sure he will pick a girlfriend when he arrives he does like to pair up as he is itchy from sweet itch so he likes mutual grooming.

all the geldings i have had have been fab with mares, shame my mares have not liked other mares though:rolleyes:

I turn my mare out with my two geldings.

They all get on really well.

Mare is only 12.2hh and geldings are 15.1hh and 16hh but I know the little monster mare will take care of herself if need be.

They have all been together like that for a couple of years now and no problems whatsoever :)

I know your situation is the opposite to mine but thought it might help a bit.

We run all of ours as mixed herds. Usually a mare is in charge and you get the normal pair bonds, sometimes mare/mare occasionally gelding/gelding but often mare /gelding. They also form little herds within the herd, normally with a gelding and a few mares. With plenty of space I have had less trouble with that than with seperate fields.

I would not be concerned about one gelding with lots of mares but would be wary the other way round.

Haha, Silver is the opposite - she loves being Queen Sheba she is out with six-seven geldings and lurrrving it - she runs about tail and ears pricked like a little tart :rolleyes::eek: - when I took her out they all whinnied for her tonight and follow us all the way to the gate.

I would have thought if there was to be trouble it would be if it was the other way around with many gelding and only one mare.

My Joy is the only mare on a yard with 5 geldings.

She shares a field with her little boyfrind and not all of them and still hasn't a clue she's female so no marishness on her part.

I wouldn't have her turned out with all of them together though as one of the geldings is very riggy.

newrider.com