Turnout for local shows.

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
Just got a few questions as entering a show at a near by yard in a few weeks and a bit unsure.

I'm entering condition and turnout, best large native and then best grey. He's a Connemara.

Firstly should I show him unplaited?
Should I be wearing gloves and what colour? All the classes are ridden.

I'm going to wear my cream jods, black jacket, shirt + tie and then short jodhpurs boots and gaiters. Does this all sound okay?

Does anyone know how to get a grey horses face clean when they don't like having it bathed, also forelock and inside his ears are really greasy.

And then tack wise he has a really bling diamante browband, is this okay or is it better off plain?

We won't be perfect but I would like to make the effort to be as accurate as possible.

Also if anyone knows a secret tip to make white greys gleam then I want to hear from you

Thank-you :)

If he's a registered Connie show him as native, so mane, tail and feathers natural.

Brown gloves is correct for showing but if you're wearing a black jacket and have black tack I'd wear plain black. Black jacket will be ok for local yard show but really should be in a tweed, the rest is fine. Make sure you have a hair net.

Use warm water and a sponge or flannel, practice doing this whilst dry in the week to get him used to it then add water don't soak him. Horses don't like getting water in there ears so he's natural to not like it. Use a damp warm cloth for ears, again practice in the week with a dry cloth.

No to the bling browband! Ideally he should be turned out with a flat noseband and browband but if you haven't got that your usual bridle will he ok but I would change the broadband or you'll stand out and not for the right reasons. Saddle shaped nummah the same colour as your saddle.

I've had 4 greys and found the best shampoo is fairy liquid. Also start bathing 2 days before to help with the stubborn stains. Then rug with outdoor on top, this stops the wee stains going through, bandage legs and hood on. May be too warm for that so make your up early to bath any overnight stains, chalk will become your best friend :p

If he's a registered Connie show him as native, so mane, tail and feathers natural.

Brown gloves is correct for showing but if you're wearing a black jacket and have black tack I'd wear plain black. Black jacket will be ok for local yard show but really should be in a tweed, the rest is fine. Make sure you have a hair net.

Use warm water and a sponge or flannel, practice doing this whilst dry in the week to get him used to it then add water don't soak him. Horses don't like getting water in there ears so he's natural to not like it. Use a damp warm cloth for ears, again practice in the week with a dry cloth.

No to the bling browband! Ideally he should be turned out with a flat noseband and browband but if you haven't got that your usual bridle will he ok but I would change the broadband or you'll stand out and not for the right reasons. Saddle shaped nummah the same colour as your saddle.

I've had 4 greys and found the best shampoo is fairy liquid. Also start bathing 2 days before to help with the stubborn stains. Then rug with outdoor on top, this stops the wee stains going through, bandage legs and hood on. May be too warm for that so make your up early to bath any overnight stains, chalk will become your best friend :p

Can you come with me and be my groom please :D thank-you so much. I'm wearing a black jacket and have brown tack haha, in that case which gloves are best?

So a brown numnah would be better than a white one?

Thank-you for all the advice, really appreciate it :)

@Ale no problem, showing is a minefield! Can you tell I spent hours last summer getting a grey ready lol!

Hmm I think you could go either way with the gloves and be ok. Yes brown saddle shaped saddle cloth will look better on a connie. I used to go with no saddle cloth in workers.

Baby wipes never worked well for me. Damp cloth with diluted shampoo in was the best.

Reactions: MrA
@Ale no problem, showing is a minefield! Can you tell I spent hours last summer getting a grey ready lol!

Hmm I think you could go either way with the gloves and be ok. Yes brown saddle shaped saddle cloth will look better on a connie. I used to go with no saddle cloth in workers.

Baby wipes never worked well for me. Damp cloth with diluted shampoo in was the best.

Had a root around and found a brown numnah, needs a wash but it will look better you are right :)

Thanks again!

My horse doesn't like having his face washed. I use a human face flannel dipped in soapy water and wringed out. As long as the water doesn't run down his face he will tolerate it if I am quick!

Reactions: Jessey and MrA
The Connemara Pony
Rules for Showing

1: No Connemara pony may be shown after the age of six months unless it is registered in an Approved Connemara Stud Book.
2: No entire male may be shown or take part in any competition restricted to Connemara or Registered Mountain and Moorland Ponies after lst January in the year which it attains the age of three years unless it has been registered as a Stallion in the Stud Book of an Approved Society.
3: No female or gelding may be shown or take part in any competition restricted to Connemara or Registered Mountain and Moorland Ponies after the lst January in which it attains the age of four years unless it has been registered as an adult pony in the Stud Book of an Approved Society.
4: Unless entered in a class specifically for Overheight Connemaras, no Pure Bred Connemara pony exceeding 148 cms in height may be shown or take part in any competition restricted to Connemaras or Registered Mountain and Moorland Ponies within the jurisdiction of the British Connemara Pony Society.
5: Where it is reported to the Society that this may have occurred then the Society may require the animal to be measured or re-measured in accordance with the rules of the Joint Measurement Scheme. The penalty for contravention of the above rules may be cancellation of the registration of the animal concerned.

Trimming Rules

Connemara ponies should be shown in as natural a state as possible and the following rules should be observed.

Manes: Ponies should be shown unplaited. However, very thick manes may be discreetly thinned but should look as natural as possible.
Tails: Should look natural and should not but pulled but may be squared off at the bottom.
Head: Ears may be trimmed flat (no trimming inside of the ears). Light trimming of long hairs in jawline is permitted. Whiskers should not be trimmed.
Legs: No trimming of feather on legs or trimming into heels.
Others: No false hair, artificial colouring or make-up should be used.
Ridden ponies ONLY may be clipped in the interest of welfare. Legs should not be clipped. Under no circumstances should foals be clipped.
The Society does not object to ponies being freeze branded. This should not be detrimental to animals in the show ring and should be encouraged.

hope above helps, Tweed, beige jods, long boots for large breed -

Mountain and Moorland Showing > Ridden Turnout

Pony turnout for Ridden M&M Classes

Bridles: The bridle should be chosen to compliment the head. M&Ms generally suit workman like bridles with plain browbands and nosebands. Brass clencher browbands are acceptable on Welsh and Shetlands, although may not suit all heads. Nosebands are recommended to be a minimum of 1" wide. Discreetly stitched nosebands and browbands may suit some breeds.

Saddles: The cut of the saddle should aim to show off the shoulder and movement. Straight cut or working hunter saddles are both popular. GP saddles may be used in working hunter pony classes. If a numnah is required they should be dark in colour and as discreet as possible. Girths should match the colour of the tack, white girths may also be used

Brown leather suits most breeds and is considered more traditional, however black may be used and is often the choice of dapple grey or jet black ponies.

Bits: Double bits or pelhams may be worn in Open, Intermediate and Restricted classes.

First ridden and Novice classes vary according to the society or show rules. Some stipulate that snaffle bridles only may be used.

Lead rein ponies must be shown in a snaffle bridle only and lead reins may only be attached to the noseband.

Rider Turnout for Ridden M&M Classes

Cream, beige or canary jodhpurs or breeches.

Tweed hacking jacket with a green or brown base. Navy jackets should not be worn with the exception of evening performances.

Plain or striped white or coloured shirt and complimenting tie.

Dark coloured or brown, preferably leather, gloves.

Navy, brown or green velvet hats are all acceptable (black for men only).

Small breeds: All riders should wear short brown jodpur boots, including adults.

Large breeds: Long, black boots are generally the choice of all riders. Juniors under 16 may wear short jodpur boots, as may any rider of Welsh Section Cs.

Handler turnout for M&M In Hand Classes

Tweed jacket with shirt and tie or blouse.

Trousers should be in a contrasting colour to the ponies’ legs.

Dark coloured sturdy shoes or boots suitable for running in.

Dark, preferably leather, gloves and a show cane should be carried

Hats are optional but look smart and some shows stipulate they should be worn. Suitable hats include a beagle, riding hat, tweed cap or brimmed trilby or panama. Children should be encouraged to wear a riding hat.

In hot weather, it is acceptable for handlers to wear either a waistcoat or shirtsleeves.

If you are showing a Highland, especially in Scotland or at the Breed Show, then a kilt or tartan trousers can be worn. With a kilt, the handler will often wear a Highland Pony Society sweatshirt or discreet sweatshirt in a dark colour.

hope this helps

Thanks for all the advice everyone, this was the last time I made the effort to get him looking reasonable. This was for dressage and I just plaited as I wanted to :) 14525017_10157516542215156_4196377488534008042_o.jpg

Like @Mary Poppins I've always found its the dribbles that irritate mine on their faces, so a flannel well wrung out works, the hotter the water the better to cut the grease and I used to take the little and often approach making face wiping part of the daily routine a week or two before :)

Good luck

Last edited:
What would I do without you all and your great advice!

Flannel purchased and tonight rubbed on face, dry first, he was fine with that, made it damp, he raised his head a little but within about 5 seconds completely relaxed and wasn't at all bothered, left it there but really pleased.

You're really slim aren't you @Ale? I've got a Maids size 12 tweed jacket which I've worn for local shows, chosen to go with Ziggy who is a grey Connie, which I'd be delighted to lend you if you would like it. A navy velvet hat as well which is very smart. I know the jacket might drown you, but message me if you'd like to borrow them, I'm not so far from you (Guildford) so I'm sure I could get them to you next week if it would help :)

Reactions: MrA and orbvalley
You're really slim aren't you @Ale? I've got a Maids size 12 tweed jacket which I've worn for local shows, chosen to go with Ziggy who is a grey Connie, which I'd be delighted to lend you if you would like it. A navy velvet hat as well which is very smart. I know the jacket might drown you, but message me if you'd like to borrow them, I'm not so far from you (Guildford) so I'm sure I could get them to you next week if it would help :)

Thank-you that is so nice of you! I'd be too scared of getting grey hairs all over it! Think it would be a little big for me but thank-you again for the offer :)

newrider.com