Two things I learned today.

Kite_Rider

Cantering cabbage!
May 18, 2009
Well managed to get out for a hack this morning, Belle hasn't been ridden since Saturday for reason I wont go into here.
She was shall we say I little fizzy, and unusually spooky anyhow off we went but decided to play it safe and put her normal bitted bridle on. I really wish I hadn't as one of the two things I learned is that she is much happier and more relaxed in the bitless. I actually felt less in control today with a bit in as she seemed to just grab onto it.
The second thing I learned today is that I can actually get Belle to stand still while I'm trying to mount from the ground on a hack as I had lots of practise today... in the space of 15 minutes we had two school busses, a fire engine, a forklift truck and a tractor all meeting us head on down our narrow little lane from the yard, Belle was having none of it so instead of having an argument with her I jumped off and led her past.
Was feeling a bit crap about it when we got back but at least I have learned from it.
Also if anyone has read this far, would Belle likely be coming into season? She was very vocal today going off the yard and she hasn't done that since the back end of last year?

My cob was in season noticeably last week.

I ride bit and bitless, I don't now notice a difference because I don't change. Its sociological if you feel safer one way or the other if you can use both.
I alternate between the two but for current lessons hacking she is bitted, insurance reasons.

Its only Wednesday so not riding for 4 days wouldn't really make a difference or does it with yours? I rode Monday if I hop tomorrow she will be the same as Monday pretty much.

Thanks Newforest, normally no it wouldn't make a difference but since she's been living on the hill, she's lost weight and we've been doing a lot more 'work' she is a lot fitter than she was, am guessing it was most likely the fact that she's in season, hasn't been out for a hack for a while and she's a lot fitter than she used to be that contributed to the excitement.
Hey ho like I said at least I've learned from the experience.

Yes she could well be coming into season, my mare was at least in season recently if not in season now.

If she is noticeably fitter then a few days off and not hacking for a while will be exciting for her. I haven't hacked for a good few months due to weather, timings etc and mine will be incredibly excitable when we finally manage to get out. Me thinks I will be schooling first then hacking round the block as a cool down lol.

The other thing is I don't know what the weather has been like for you but a lot of people I know are having some issues due to the weather being so inconsistent at the moment.

Why do you feel crap? Because you took the safest and most sensible option by leading your horse past something she was scared of? To me that is being part of a partnership and being responsible by ensuring that you all stayed safe.

It took me a long time to realise that getting off in times of stress is not a sign of failure. You should feel proud that you got out and about, faced some problems, dealt with them and came home safely. While it would be nice to have the perfect ride everytime we go out, sometimes it just doesn't work out and you need to deal with the situation and see tomorrow as another day.

newrider.com