Update on Holly

HollyG

Sep 29, 2008
Wales
Hospital phoned. Holly is eating grass, hay and has had a small mash this morning. Plenty of poo!!!!!!
Temperature, pulse, and heart rate all normal.
Tests for dreaded Grass Sickness came back negative!!!!!!!!!

Said her personality has started to come through and she's a real hit with the students.

We're going to see her tomorrow, and can take her out for some grass!

I'm scared to feel happy - but I can't help it!!!!!!! It has been such an emotional rollercoaster over the last few days.

Go Holly!!!!!!

:D

Told you!!!, nothing to worry about.

She's well on the road to recovery when they start eating poo'ong.

(((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))

They said the problem was that her small intestine was wedged under the large one causing a blockage. What they don't know is what caused it, which is why they're being so cautious. I suppose sometimes things happen, that we just can't explain. She's gone 13 years without this happening before, so I just have to hope and pray that she goes at least another 13 without it happening again - if ever!!!!!

Thanks for all the good vibes, hugs and messages - it helps so much.

Text from my daughter was 'YES!!!!!!!' Speaks volumes............

I was waiting for the update, so pleased, you never think you will be so thankful when horsie poos!!! Its fantastic news and it sounds as if she is definitely on the mend:):):)

Surgeon just phoned. He's really pleased with Holly's progress and recovery. She's off the drip and drinking for herself. He said blood count and everything else back to normal. Will stay on antibiotics over the weekend but if she continues as she is, SHE'LL BE HOME MONDAY!!!!!!!!!

How can your emotions go from despair to elation in such a short time.

I am soooooo happy!!!!!!!!!!

:D:D:D

I feel so drained. We went to see Holly today, and I think the reality hit home. Having heard that she was eating hay and grass,I naively had images of her happily munching away on a haynet. Of course that's not the case.

What we saw was a very poorly, sad little horse. We were allowed to take her for some grass for a few minutes. I felt so guilty taking her back into her stable. She was then given some hay- well a few strands, and I mean no more than a handful, which she quickly ate. I know that they have to reintroduce everything slowly, I know everything is being done for all the right reasons, but when she's so hungry they have to muzzle her to stop her eating shavings it's so distressing.

We weren't allowed to stay with her for very long, but she did give both of us very sloppy kisses. Walking away with her watching us through the bars above her door was so hard to do.

I felt so elated last night, today I realise that she still has a long way to go. She will needs lots of love and attention, and of course she will get it in bucketloads, but seeing my mischievous, cheeky, fun loving girl so quiet and sad with a big bandage around her tummy is heartbreaking.................

Really feel for you, it must be like a rollercoaster ride. Just keep reminding yourself that she's no the mend and in the best possible hands. She'll be back home looking over her stable door in no time! Everythings crossed for you!!!

Just read what I posted, and think I need to kick myself! How pathetic!!!
Of course she's poorly, she has recently had life saving surgery - what did I expect??!

Right, no more wallowing, positive thoughts. She has come a very long way in a very short space of time, and I should credit her for that instead of being miserable.

Love you Holly, we'll keep smiling xxxxx

Hope this works, but this was Holly today. Not looking her best but still beautiful!:);)

Attachments

• Image023.jpg
    Image023.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCF1522.jpg
    DSCF1522.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 18
It's natural to feel down - don't kick yourself too hard! Bet she was loving the attention though, and seeing you will have boosted her spirits, regardless of the length of time you were able to spend with her.

Friend's pony a while back had the surgery and was off for 6 months - was a terribly hard time but she got through it and is now back riding as if nothing happened. She's v careful with her with regards to future episodes but it seemed to be a one-off.

Good luck for her continued recovery, hope she's over the worst of it.

newrider.com