Updated feet pics

Montana

Feb 22, 2005
We went barefoot in July last year, and have been doing pretty well since. I'm really pleased with how his feet are looking overall now, just wondering if I could get some opinions.

Recently had some footiness going on concrete and gravel, not overly surprised, I broke my arm on 5th Jan, so haven't been riding, and have been limited in what conditioning I can do. He's been living out 24/7 and on soft ground.

He's been back in work for a week now, and things are already better. We started in boots all around and he was a bit footy even then. But he's got better and better over tha last 10 days. Today, I rode in just front boots and he was fine. He was also great without me on board, on the gravel path back to his field, so I think that's all it was.

Some old ones, from August

Left fore

Cathphotos011.jpg

Left fore today
2007_0220monty20046.jpg

Right fore (august)
Cathphotos012.jpg

Today
2007_0220monty20049.jpg

Left hind (august)
Cathphotos021.jpg

Today
2007_0220monty20048.jpg

Right hind (august)
Cathphotos018.jpg

Cathphotos015.jpg

Today
2007_0220monty20047.jpg

Boots!
2007_0220monty20006.jpg

What do you think?

Can see an improvement there. Nice frogs!

Any chance the footyness is LGL or is it just a case of soft feet from the wet ground or a bit of frog ming or something?

Thanks guys:)

Melanie - I don't know with LGL to be honest. Why would it have happened, and how would I know that's what it is? Would it have improved already? His routine hasn't changed other than being out of work, but to be honest, he wasn't doing much for a couple of months before:rolleyes: The spring grass isn't coming through yet, and he's finally lost a decent amount of weight - (yes, I know he's still got a way to go:rolleyes::D)

I'm thinking it's the soft ground he's been on. The frogs are healthier and with less crevices than ever, plus he gets milton-ed daily and MSM in the cracks.

There's frost at night and its a bit warmer and sunny during the day so the grass could be doing Bad Things at the moment. Checking for digital pulses can give you some idea in some horses but I don't really trust that as a definite check for LGL rather than the pounding ones you get in a serious case of laminitis. Most definite way to check if it is grass is to deprive of grass for a few days and see if there's any effect.

newrider.com