Urgh Ive done it - I feel abit sick!

Dannii5691

Owned by Ponies!
Nov 16, 2009
I have agreed to ride my boss's horse before he is sold (see Alfie in the for sale section!). It will be the first time I will have ridden since my accident almost 6 months ago. I feel physically sick :| I know myself I need to get back on, even just to walk round the school. Atleast then that will either put an end to my riding and I can close the book on that part of my life, or it might give me the kick up the arse I need to book a lesson somewhere. Either way im almost healed now and I think it's about time I got back on. I've left it to long already! I shall update when the time comes (she's talking about next weekend!!!)

Good luck. I don`t know your full story but everyone has confidence issues at times. Happened to me when my youngster bolted off down the main road with me on board (eeeek!) It took me a while to get out and about on him again, rather than just riding in the safety of the menage, but I did it by taking it a small step at a time, realising what had caused him to bolt and putting in place procedures to stop it (hopefully!) happening again. "It is harder to think about doing something than actually doing it."

I was thrown off and then horse trampled me, bit chunks out of my back etc. Ended up with broken ribs, nerve damage in my back etc, so was a nasty accident :(

That was really bad and no wonder you are filled with trepidation. However the odds must be a million to one against something like that happening again. I have a feeling that the ride will be great and you will be in an ecstatic mood afterwards. Looking forward to hearing all about it.

Thanks guys, i shall update you all on when its happening!! hopefully with pictures and the like (if i can convinve boss to be photographer!!)

Jeez Dannii, that sounds nasty! I had no idea. Like you say you will have to get back on at some point, if only to see how you feel, and this opportunity looks as good as any. Keep us updated and try to enjoy it when the time comes (sometimes it's better just to be told you are doing it now huh?! Rather than have to think about it!)

yeh i guess so, i walked in to work this morning to ... so when are you coming to ride alfie then! it will have to bee soon!! i asked her when she wanted me to come (hoping her busy life would kind of over rule the need for her to be horsey mentor) and she said not this weekend as she was busy but she will meet me there next week ( i have a week off booked in!) so that was it really!! i guess that i really just needed someone to give me a kick up the arse and tell me to do it

I had an accident and broke my upper arm and did not ride for 5 months. I still had Mac on loan and still visited him, groomed him etc

I just decided one day, I'm going to ride today and I did. It felt amazing to be back in the saddle after all that time.

I understand I was not as badly injured as you were but just do it and dont feel pressurised, you need to do it in your own time.

Bacs Rescue remedy and sheer willpower will get you through it. Good luck :biggrin:

I dont believe in forcing oneself to get back on - That is a fine philosophy if one tumbles off and is unhurt and then rides home - but after bad injury, take as long as it takes. Giving up is never final and I do only what I feel like.

If you have been trampled on, do wear a body protector. Buy one or borrow one before getting on a horse again. That will give you some added protection and avoid bruising the parts of you that were injured.

newrider.com