Vaulting

elise

Jul 23, 2003
Farmington, MN, USA
www.ineedanap.net
Does anyone teach or do vaulting for therapeutic riding purposes?

I've just started teaching one young rider some basic vaulting skills, though I have no vaulting experience myself. All she's done is the basic seat, the mill (in a more round-the-world way), and she's knelt on the horses back (all at the walk of course). We told her we'd have her stand on the horses back this coming week (at a halt). She's pretty excited. I feel like some of these vaulting skills are really giving her some confidence. She's usually a pretty quiet reserved kid but when we're done riding she's all smiles and giddy.

I'm just looking for ideas and other people's experiences.

I've been teaching voltige at our therapeutic centre for quite a few years now.

Yep: stability to mobilty! Always start at the halt & progress to walk (some can be done at the trot).

Here are the positions I teach my students:
With arms: Egyptian stance. Rider looks like they are holding pizzas/pie/tray (whatever comes to mind) in each hand (arms to the side, bent at the elbows, palms facing up). Then stretch arms out straight & flip palms down.

Side saddle: upper leg resting between the grips, rider holds on to grips.

Both legs between grips & on each sides of neck. If rider is small enough; sit in front of surcingle. I'm not too fond of that one.

Sitting sideways or backwards. This position can be done at the trot. Rider can either hold the grips or the pad.

When sitting backwards, rider to rest elbows/forearm on horse (sensory stimulation)

When sitting forward: lie back on horse.

Sitting backwards: legs outstretched & together, or cross legged

4pt: rider on knees, seat off the feet (they tend to sit on them;) ), hands on grips & looking foreward

Tall knees: progression from 4pt, rider on knees & have body upright. The rider should hold on the the sidewalkers' hands for support or you can attach a lead rope to the top ring of the surcingle.

Bear stance: progression from tall knees. At first have rider crouch then stand. Hold on to sidewalkers' hands for balance & then hold on to lead rope attached to centre ring between grips of surcingle.

Flag: from 4pt, rider extends left arm forward (palm down, fingers together) & right leg straight back (or right arm/left leg)

Sack of potatoes: rider lies on stomach across the horse's back

Superman: progression from potatoe: rider stretches both arms forward like superman flying

Around the world: you already know that one:D

These are only the ones I can remember off the top of my head (don't have my manual with me right now). Incorporate games as they add variety & promote stretching, rotations & engages the brain; all the other aspects of therapeutic riding.

Hope this helped a bit.

newrider.com