vehicle (4x4)recommendations to enable towing on car license please

Why not just sit the test? it's not hard and if you plan to tow then you should be able to do so before you hit the road. The cost of a new car, tax and insurance will surely be more than the test ( mine was £160 including lessons ) and adding you to your OH's car insurance.

You can then tow with a suitible car and not risk the lives of yourselves or others by using a car that is on it max limit. sorry to be a pain but it gets on my wick when people tow without experiance or the right type of car for the job.

Do you have any idea how i can find where there's instructors in my area? Or do you not need an instructor:confused: lol!

Shian89 - not sure if you can get hold of an equi ads - some adverts in their for instructors.

Aye read that site BW - and why i used to agree with 3.5 combo. But speaking to DVLA on phone, speaking to police, my training centre and the test centre and instructor i got a different story of 750kg.

All very confusing and nothing ties up bewteen which is hard for those trying like yourself to source what is appropriate.

Try your local driving school and trailer dealership, they might have an idea who teaches in your area :)

If you have a trailer and suitible tow car then you can just take the test without the instruction, its up to you :) I took mine at the local test centre for HGVs.

I hope you get through the trailer test quickly.

As for the Suzuki Grand Vitara - I had one for several years. Would never even have even have dreamt of towing something with it though, it had enough trouble pulling itself up a hill let alone with a trailer (of any sort) behind.
Also they are often delivered with Bridgestone tyres which are useless ! I had the vitara a couple of weeks from new and had an interesting rear-end slide when turning into a road (without driving crazily). Became a totally different vehicle when we put michelins on though, found grip I never though I could have !

Try asking JulesS she has just done her training in Perth and passed. Between the police and vosa I think that they would have a hard time prossicuting as they don't seem to know the legalities themselves :rolleyes: really fills you with confidence in the laws governing driving :confused:

Just as a little rant, why is it when there are bad floods on roads (Fife 7.45am this morning) do people in 4 x4's, lorrys, high up vans travel through flood water slowly and carefully but idiots in low cars fly trough the water creating waves for following cars and don't bother to check their breaks as they get out the water :mad: Then wonder why their car cuts out! The engine is flooded!!!!

Sorry for the moan was on night shift last night and it took me almost 11/2 hours to get home even though only about 10m of the road I travelled on as flodded!

Why not just sit the test? it's not hard and if you plan to tow then you should be able to do so before you hit the road. The cost of a new car, tax and insurance will surely be more than the test ( mine was £160 including lessons ) and adding you to your OH's car insurance.

You can then tow with a suitible car and not risk the lives of yourselves or others by using a car that is on it max limit. sorry to be a pain but it gets on my wick when people tow without experiance or the right type of car for the job.

sitting the test is an option - but the very last one. Due to where the people who do the courses are located and how much they charge.

I was considering changing vehicles so no biggy there..

and can I just point out that I have no intention of " risking the lives of yourselves or others by using a car that is on it max limit" :mad: There are several vehicles more than able to tow a SINGLE ifor and for the combo to be under 3.5 tonnes.

thank you everyone for your advice on vehicles...

sitting the test is an option - but the very last one. Due to where the people who do the courses are located and how much they charge.

I was considering changing vehicles so no biggy there..

and can I just point out that I have no intention of " risking the lives of yourselves or others by using a car that is on it max limit" :mad: There are several vehicles more than able to tow a SINGLE ifor and for the combo to be under 3.5 tonnes.

thank you everyone for your advice on vehicles...

i wasn't querying the 3.5 rule to create friction merely to find an true answer as you have investigated other aspects - was just detailing the conflicting advice i have seen

As long as it has valid plates, and the inspection sticker, and is insured, they won't tow it.

If it's parked in the street, check the law about 'abandoned' vehicles. If it gets left over a certain time, perhaps 72 hours, they might consider it abandoned. If it's in your driveway, no worries. If it is on the street and they have some ordinance in place, have a friend with a license move it every 3 days for you to a different spot.

Depends on local laws...some just ticket it and others tow...also keep in mind that you could also be hit with having no ins. also because it is parked on a public street.

newrider.com