Vettings.... who did and who didn't?

domane

Retired cob mum
Jul 31, 2005
I've had a fair few come and go over the past 9 years, but the only one I had vetted was Cherry, the first. And that was because I bought her when she was in recovery from a tendon injury so even that was only a two-stage. I don't agree with the flexion test because it can be inconsistent and yes, obviously it can bring to light things like sight problems and heart murmurs but I've been lucky and nothing untoward has ever presented itself afterwards, thankfully. But I've never paid out lots of money as a purchase price for any of mine either so I kind of "paid me monies and took me choice".... ;)

Yes I did, full five stage. I realised afterwards that it didn't give me a pass or fail situation as such, more a 'these are your potential issues, up to you what you want to do!'. I'm ashamed to say, the dirty willy issue was highlighted during the vet check. Should have known that would be a problem!!!

Reactions: Trewsers
I did. Complete waste of time and money in my case. I'd still do it again though, a 2 stage anyway, just not with the same vet. He was useless and I don't think he did it properly.

I had a 5 stage vetting done and always would recommend it. I had doubts about the flexion tests and discussed it with my vet who told me those who say the test is unreliable are generally those who know that their horses would not pass it. I would not have bought Ben without him passing a 5 stage vetting. For my first horse, I needed the knowledge that I was buying a horse with no known health issues. Obviously I realise that this

Two star vet check, just as a routine when teeth were done etc.
It comes down to what you want to do, had I said competition she would have failed.
I said hacking she passed.

I got my girl 5 stage vetted and the vet was great!! We did all the usual tests apart from the lunging on a hard surface. I'm glad I got it done as it meant she had no obvious issues and she was "passed" to compete at high level eventing :)

Yes, I suppose it depends what you want the horse for. Mine are just plods or pets so the "work" part isn't totally necessary. But if you want to compete or do stuff like endurance, I can understand the need.....

Yes I had 5 stage for Joe. Ten years ago £4,500 was a lot to pay (for me anyway!) and we wanted to make sure he was okay for what we wanted. Vet was brilliant and thorough - but sadly only four weeks later he was diagnosed with djd so OH's hopes of ever jumping regularly with him were dashed. I guess problems have to start somewhere and he was fine "on the day". Over the years we had him he developed all kinds of ailments and injuries but we loved him all the same and learnt loads from him.
Had Storm two stage vetted but only cos I knew the person selling - if they had been a stranger I would have had 5 stage done. Again, the money she cost was a lot for me and I'd saved hard, so another hundred quid on a vetting was neither here nor there in the scheme of things. Plus when I bought her ten years ago I knew a lot less and it was great to learn more from my vet at each of the vettings and we developed a good relationship because he knew we were first timers - he made me feel I could ask anything without feeling a numpty!!!
I would still do it this way - and even if the horse in question had issues, I would most likely work around them.

Got a 5 stage vetting done for Ale when I bought him. Now 5 years done the line we are having ligament trouble, but no vet could predict that.

If I got a horse again would probably just get a 2 stage

Some I have, usually because I have a suspicion of something at viewing the horse, and get a vetting done to confirm or deny my worries. In most cases if it has been something minor I have still bought them. Anything pretty cheap and straightforward I haven't bothered. Dolly I did because I was lucky enough to have a seller who was happy for her to come home with me for two weeks trial, and I particularly wanted my own vet to check her over in view of her hunting background and being 10 years old. 10 year old hunters that are still 100 per cent sound are pretty thin on the ground here! She was just grand apart from the suspected sweet itch, which we both thought and it did turn out she had it but I am so glad I didn't let that put me off buying her.:)

Never had but I don't go out to buy perfect horses for a lot of money, we tend to take on other peoples problems and hope they work for us. We lost one after four weeks but vet said it was unpredictable, another has an eye problem (discovered on RS vetting) but she is so saintly I would have been wrong not to buy her. Tbs have frequent sicknotes but nothing a vetting would have highlighted!

Nope the vetting would have cost more than the pony. And I didnt originally intend to ride him, and anything that cropped up we could have delt with.

Asbo was bad when I bought her with her hip thing and has cost me over 3 grand in vets fees. Which is more than 10x what I paid for her.
colic, lami, bad hips, strangles and a bout of itchy skin soon mounts up!

Oh I don't feel so bad now.... when I posted I expected a sharp intake of breath and disapproval. I expected that a lot more of you would have had vettings done.

Nope. Neither were but I doubt either would of passed and since they both cost pennies and I mean pennies plus I am not a keen jumper I was not bothered

Angel had one and failed it :p

Appley I never bothered as I had her on LWVTB and vets had seen her during this time - none of them went 'OMG what's wrong with this horse!!' so I figured we'd be alright. And I knew about the sweet itch, anyway.

newrider.com