Vibes for my tooth please

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Not often I post about my teeth but honestly, any spare vibes much appreciated. I take good care of my teeth and it was only three weeks ago I had a check up. But I appear to have either an abscess, bad tooth or something more sinister as the pain has increased daily. Booked in for tomorrow morning, and it really isn't my favourite place (as I'm sure it's not for you guys either) but I'll just be glad to find out what's going on and hopefully be pain free. Must be awful for our horses too when they have sore teeth and gums and can't tell us quite where it's at!! I'm going to attempt to ride Zi in a moment, but I'll bet any money he can sense me being "off". So nothing ambitious today for us.
Just another thought - has anyone else on here had extreme sensitivity without the dentist finding a cause? Because I did mention it three weeks ago but it's just got worse and worse yet he couldn't see anything back then. Thanks.

Ooo no, nasty nasty dentists ;) I guess if it were an abscess he might not have been able to see much, I think sometimes people do just get sensitive teeth for no real reason or they wouldn't make toothpaste for sensitive teeth, but I don't think that's normally in 1 focused spot. I never had sore teeth until I had 1 fixed and that bastard thing has hurt ever since (2 years ish) :(

Ooh, that sounds horrid @Trewsers, I hope the dentist fixes you up quickly and painlessly.

In answer to your question, I get on/off toothache, I think from where I had root canal work years ago. It isn't as bad as yours sounds, I only get it sometimes when I have a hot drink, or eat something sticky, or bizarrely when I'm in the car on my way home from work, but it's bad enough for me to need ibuprofen when it happens. I'm so glad it isn't there all the time. My dentist took xrays but he couldn't see anything wrong.

I've had this recently - they didn't find anything at the checkup but then 3 weeks later a tooth cracked in half (and the one that cracked was next to the one I thought was hurting)

It could be an infection - hot salty water held in your mouth is good for drawing it out

Good luck either way. (FWIW I'm terrified of dentists and had to have the tooth taken out. He actually managed to get it out before I knew he was starting - I literally didn't feel it, and it was just a bit uncomfortable for the rest of the day)

Reactions: Bodshi
I've had this recently - they didn't find anything at the checkup but then 3 weeks later a tooth cracked in half (and the one that cracked was next to the one I thought was hurting)

It could be an infection - hot salty water held in your mouth is good for drawing it out

Good luck either way. (FWIW I'm terrified of dentists and had to have the tooth taken out. He actually managed to get it out before I knew he was starting - I literally didn't feel it, and it was just a bit uncomfortable for the rest of the day)

Oooh glad you didn't feel anything - this is what I am hoping should the worst happen!

Reactions: GaryB
Ooh, that sounds horrid @Trewsers, I hope the dentist fixes you up quickly and painlessly.

In answer to your question, I get on/off toothache, I think from where I had root canal work years ago. It isn't as bad as yours sounds, I only get it sometimes when I have a hot drink, or eat something sticky, or bizarrely when I'm in the car on my way home from work, but it's bad enough for me to need ibuprofen when it happens. I'm so glad it isn't there all the time. My dentist took xrays but he couldn't see anything wrong.

Thanks, I wish I'd been a bit more persistent this morning and seen if there was anything available later today. But least if it's morning hopefully he can do any work (or least start).............................
(Wonder if yours starts because you are concentrating and maybe clamping your teeth together driving?)

Ooo no, nasty nasty dentists ;) I guess if it were an abscess he might not have been able to see much, I think sometimes people do just get sensitive teeth for no real reason or they wouldn't make toothpaste for sensitive teeth, but I don't think that's normally in 1 focused spot. I never had sore teeth until I had 1 fixed and that bastard thing has hurt ever since (2 years ish) :(

Ooh heck that's not good it hurting ever since. I've been blessed for the past six or seven years with great pain free teeth. This has come as a shock really, as I've been religious about cleaning, flossing and attending for appointments every three months (three month checkups due to having issues with plaque).

Reactions: Jessey
I've just had a troublesome molar sorted and despite the expense the relief of it is immeasurable!
In short, it had a massive filling which broke off when I was in Thailand along with the remaining crown - leaving the entire roots etc in the gum as normal, but only small bits of tooth left above the gumline, which broke off gradually over 3/4 weeks. The rest of the tooth was impossible to remove normally because there was nothing above the gumline for the dentist to grip on to. He had to cut my gum in three places to get it out and then put stitches in afterwards.
Honestly, having a tooth removed is not the worst thing in the world. I had a couple of back molars out as a teenager before I got my braces and it was entirely untraumatic - you're numb with anaesthetic so all you can really "feel" is the tooth shifting as the dentist eases it out and there's no pain at all. Once the gap has stopped bleeding you just have to wait for the sensitivity to die down, Ibuprofen did the trick easily for me. This one was slightly more painful because of the stitches in my gum but I had it done 10 days ago and it feels much better already.

Reactions: Trewsers
I have broken teeth accidentally by biting on something hard. It happened recently on holiday and the dentist explained to me that tho the X ray was clear, it cant always pick up on very fine cracks. He is an excellent dentist.

I was due for a crown on another tooth so he checked on the injured side again and said the gum was inflamed. So gave me antibiotics which have had immediate effect. Otherwise it has to come out. He did say that bruising takes some time to clear up, just as it does when one falls off a horse.

I am pretty depressed because I hought it showed my age - I will lose all my teeth. But am sorry that you younger things are having problems too.
And poor Joosie - how horried and what an exact explanation.

Last edited:
I developed an intense pain in May in my upper jaw on one of my back teeth. The pain came on suddenly. As it happened the next day I was due at the dentist for a routine check up. It is a tooth that I've had filled a couple of times so I thought it had given up again. I told the dentist I was in incredible pain but he found nothing.
He said that I was clenching and told me to practice a tongue exercise to build the muscles and help relax my jaw. The only problem is it makes me yawn everytime I do the tongue exercise. The pain has carried on all summer and it's only been in the last month that I've been pain free. He did say that if it persisted I could go back but I havent. Ironically the only thing that happened in May about the same time as the pain started which could have brought the pain on was when I fell over on my run and banged my knee badly. I do wonder if i did something to jar my jaw without knowing it.
I do have clickey jaws and they always ask me to open and close so they can poke the sides of my cheeks to feel it. They did say some time ago that my jaws might cause me problems when I'm older.
My dentist also picked up several years back that I was grinding my teeth. Something I was not aware I was even doing but they can tell by the wear pattern on the teeth. Once I was told, I realised I was clamping, and realised that it was mainly when I was stressed. I ended up chewing chewing gum throughout the day, which tired my mouth. So when i went to sleep my jaw relaxed so I stopped clenching.

Reactions: Jessey
Sending lots of vibes Trewsers. I hate the dentist. Hope he sorts you out and your pain free again.

Sending lots of vibes Trewsers. I hate the dentist. Hope he sorts you out and your pain free again.

Thanks, booked in for first thing tomorrow morning for root canal work. Least it isn't a pulling out job! I've had root canal work done before, so know the ins and outs. Just a long appointment - hour and a half. And he told me to eat beforehand lol I better try and eat something, I'll be famished !!!!

Out of all the tooth work I've had done I find root canal the most bearable. I hate the dentists purely because of the injection in the gums, fine with normal injections. You have my sympathy, feel better soon X

Reactions: Trewsers
@Trewsers the reason they tell you to eat is because your body goes into shock, even though you don’t feel pain (or you shouldn’t) your blood sugar will drop. Well that’s what my dentist told me anyway.
Good luck, personally I’d rather just get the tooth pulled out, but that could be because my only experience of root canal work was excruciating, previous dentist trying to work on an infected tooth, I’ve never known pain like it but my whole face was numb with anaesthetic.
Needless to say I have changed my dentist since then.

@Trewsers the reason they tell you to eat is because your body goes into shock, even though you don’t feel pain (or you shouldn’t) your blood sugar will drop. Well that’s what my dentist told me anyway.
Good luck, personally I’d rather just get the tooth pulled out, but that could be because my only experience of root canal work was excruciating, previous dentist trying to work on an infected tooth, I’ve never known pain like it but my whole face was numb with anaesthetic.
Needless to say I have changed my dentist since then.

Aw sorry you had such a bad experience. Not all dentists are made equal I know. I really like the one here, he's very gentle and takes his time which means a lot to me. My previous dentist was lovely too, but sadly two planes and a long taxi ride to get to from here lol
I've had root canal work done in the past and it was fine, the worst of it for me personally was wanting a wee lol tmi (I have a weak bladder best of times but when stressed it goes into overdrive:eek:)

newrider.com