Vibes for sox.

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
I was sweeping outside soxs stable, he starts pawing, belly watching. Then going back to his hay and eating. So i waited a little while. He kept doing it. Then digging up his bed. Then back to eating. I monitored him, he then went down. So i got him up in hand walked him and give two bute. While informing the vet. The vet said to walk him again in 10 mins and call her in a hour at 21:45. I did that. He seemed brighter. Though i was still unsure. As he wasnt showing signs the vet didnt come out. Though I stayed til half 11 tonight. He did a dropping around half 10. I have not long got home and going back up there at 6am.

In addition the vets did bloods yesterday everything was fine apart from his inflammtory marker was up. Though the vet said if thats the only things thats off and sox seems ok in himself unless i want to re check it in 2 weeks time. I shouldnt worry. But then he had this tonight :(

• Sad
Reactions: Huggy and MrC
Everything crossed.

Do you feel this a continuation of the other day? It does sound like maybe some further investigation is needed in case it's a flare up of the IBS he had years ago or something like ulcers.

How was he this morning?

Are his inflammatory marker’s always up with the IBD? I know you have it well managed now but it wasn’t cured so potentially they will always be a little higher but normal for him? I would be concerned that something is going on, perhaps re look at his diet and strip back an extras that have crept in since his IBD diagnosis and consider a course of diagnostic treatment for ulcers. What was the vets thoughts when they came to pull his blood?

Everything crossed.

Do you feel this a continuation of the other day? It does sound like maybe some further investigation is needed in case it's a flare up of the IBS he had years ago or something like ulcers.
Yes i do. I was thinking the last time he was like this as in it was over a week he had a infection. But i do think we might need to look at it further.
hope he is ok this morning
He seems bright this morning, ate/drank well and done 5 droppings since half 11 last night
How was he this morning?

Are his inflammatory marker’s always up with the IBD? I know you have it well managed now but it wasn’t cured so potentially they will always be a little higher but normal for him? I would be concerned that something is going on, perhaps re look at his diet and strip back an extras that have crept in since his IBD diagnosis and consider a course of diagnostic treatment for ulcers. What was the vets thoughts when they came to pull his blood?
He seems ok tbh. I arent sure he doesnt routinely have bloods apart from cushings . So i wouldnt know. Tbh the vet was like he seems ok. You wouldnt go to the gp if you felt ok. Though he listened to his heart and said he doesnt have a mumor now. Though they can get them with things like infections.

For his guts
Is that what a nutritionist suggested? Only, bran used to be thought beneficial for tummies but has actually been found to have a laxative effect in bulk, and to be of no benefit in small amounts and has an inverted calcium phosphorous ratio so isn't a great thing to feed unless specifically being used to balance high calcium.

Ahhh okay. Wasnt aware of that.
Spoke to the vet the bloods were acute and could be caused by alot of things. The more chronic bloods eh horses with ibd showed that soxs were normal. Ver said not really enough to go on to Warrent further investigation. That sox needs to show us that he warrants then. My plan was to monitor and if he colic again get him scanned

Reactions: Jessey
Is this still the up and down and belly watching or is he just laying flat out once during the day? If it’s the latter I wouldn’t be nearly so concerned, does he lay in his stable too?

Is this still the up and down and belly watching or is he just laying flat out once during the day? If it’s the latter I wouldn’t be nearly so concerned, does he lay in his stable too?
I have been on nights so havent been that. From what they said yesterday as in talking about friday he was going from lying to flat out to lying. To the point other liveries are saying he does his cow impression ( all curled up) atleast yesterday saturday that was the case and he was down twice just lying yesterday afternoon. He does lie down in the stable but sometimes its not always clear where he has lied down. Though i arent sure if he lies down every night in his stable x

There isnt alot i can do other then monitor him right now xx

Why is that? Given his history I'm surprised the vets aren't being more proactive to find out what the issue is because if it's the old gut problem flaring up again it needs treating asap before it worsens and you end up with the hell you had before. Can you get him back on the diet, management, and meds you used to treat it back then? I'd also want him checked for ulcers if he was mine, if scoping is felt to be too much then I'd at least want the Succeed Faecal blood test done.

The other possibility given his history and the recent weather is laminitis. It would account for the lying down more than usual, and while not directly for looking at his gut the extra down time means less grazing which in turn can cause gut problems in a sensitive gut. Also gut problems can trigger laminitis. When were his levels last checked to see if his PPID is under control?

newrider.com