was made to feel like a naughty child!

eventerbabe

Dec 16, 2004
As some of you may know as i've mentioned it, i teach more than the agreed contact time as a favour to a particular class who were due to be left (for the second year in a row) without a proper science teacher. My union rep found out today and by gosh he was annoyed! i know it's a "line in the sand" and i've crossed it. I know the regulations and working time agreements were hard fought BUT at the bottom of my dilemma were 20 children, most of whom LOVE science and are very good at it, destined to have a second year of no proper science teacher. I couldn't let that happen. I took my reps points on board BUT i didn't get in to teaching to work to rule, i got into it to inspire children to love science like i do.

As a parent, would you rather your child was left minus a teacher, or would you appreciate someone stepping in and taking them on? I don't think staffing issues should impact on children's education. I know by taking on the class my school are getting out of having to employ supply and ultimately fill a vacant post. But in my heart of hearts i couldn't see these kids passed around again. What would you have done?

I think what you are doing/ have done is very admirable and should be why teachers are there - to inspire.

However I think, maybe the school should have a bit of a awakening as to WHY they haven't sourced a suitable permanent teacher? What are they going to do for the long term?

As I said, WELL DONE for not leaving the kids in the lurch and for helping them out but make sure you get recognition for it, not told off for it :)

Our LA has a ban in place for advertising permanent posts. Most we could have hoped for was a full time temporary post until july which we did advertise. We had only one applicant who turned out to be unsuitably qualified. we are 3 teachers down and just about at breaking point :(

I think that you have demonstrated that you are a "proper" teacher who has put the interests of the children first in preference to red tape. As a parent I think that's super. Children need consistency and someone who knows them and WANTS to teach them is more likely to be successful than an endless round of supply teachers. Fundamentally this type of flexible and child centred attitude is the foundation of good education.

However I also agree that you should get recognition for stepping into the breach (my dad always used to call it "acting up" in the civil service - there must be an equivalent, as the school are not stumping up for supply). Equally you are not an infinite resource, but from the sound of your posts so far you are happy that your existing contact time is not compromised by this extra lesson.

I think that it is great as I've said, but I can also see maybe that other colleagues might not be willing to do the same (they might be less organised, handle stress less well or have more committments - who knows) and if you are setting a precedent it could be or become unpopular. Who ever is in charge of staffing needs a sensitive hand - and to make more effort to get proper staff recruited!

Well done you - but it can't be a long term solution can it?

No, sadly it's no long term solution and I'm absolutely terrified that my dear little first years i have this year will end up with no teacher next year when they move up to second year :( I'm hoping we might get a few newly qualified teachers or even get to advertise but there are no guarantees :(

I'm quite happy with losing the time (it works out at 80 minutes over my maximum contact time) as i just make up for it at home. I've had my teaching skills complemented on a recent senior management visit but nothing mentioned about me taking on this class.

My colleagues are also in a similar position, a few have taken on extra lessons as we all want the best for the kids.

I just felt so bad when i was getting a lecture from this guy about hard fought conditions and letting the school take advantage of me :rolleyes:

Surely if you want to teach the class then the school aren't taking advantage of you? Some people are just total jobsworths & think they know it all.

From what you post I think you are a fantastic teacher with vast amounts of enthusiasm and commitment which you should be praised for!

As some of you may know as i've mentioned it, i teach more than the agreed contact time as a favour to a particular class who were due to be left (for the second year in a row) without a proper science teacher. My union rep found out today and by gosh he was annoyed! i know it's a "line in the sand" and i've crossed it. I know the regulations and working time agreements were hard fought BUT at the bottom of my dilemma were 20 children, most of whom LOVE science and are very good at it, destined to have a second year of no proper science teacher. I couldn't let that happen. I took my reps points on board BUT i didn't get in to teaching to work to rule, i got into it to inspire children to love science like i do.

As a parent, would you rather your child was left minus a teacher, or would you appreciate someone stepping in and taking them on? I don't think staffing issues should impact on children's education. I know by taking on the class my school are getting out of having to employ supply and ultimately fill a vacant post. But in my heart of hearts i couldn't see these kids passed around again. What would you have done?
Wish you taught my kids:smile:

I think it is ridiculous that they put you in the position where you feel under pressure for wanting to teach and be there for those kids! Awful that you have to justify it all. There ought to be more like you! It is rotten that you are so understaffed. Sometimes I wonder where young people will end up if they don't do something about it. After all, if we can't educate kids then what hope is there????

newrider.com