Water trouble

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Long story short. Council tested our water a few weeks ago and have told us its got all manner of nasties in. I am obviously not too concerned on a personal level as I have always drunk bottled and have checked with my vets about it being okay for the girls. However the council insist that all three properties here club together and do the following:
Install an inspection cover onto the main storage tank
Erect a stock proof fence around the water storage tanks (there are two to fence)
Lower the ground level surrounding the spring chamber
Ensure that the spring chamber and both tanks are watertight and vermin proof
Ensure they are secured to prevent unauthorised access
Install an inspection cover onto the main storage tank for maintenance

They've enclosed a handy list of contractors and we are to share the bill three ways. But I was just wondering if anyone on here knew roughly how much its all going to cost? Anyone been through this before? I can really do without this - as we are up for sale. I don't have a few thousand pounds spare either. If I did, I'd be buying another horse!!!!
It all seems rather messy. The letter is very heavy handed - there are steep fines for non compliance etc.
I just hope it doesn't cost way more than I have saved up!

Oh Bugger, no help I'm afraid, doesnt sound very cheap tho :( could you all get together to do the bits like the fencing to keep the cosys down?

Yeah we'll try and do the fencing ourselves but the groundwork will need a man and a machine no doubt. Just what I don't need when moving! It really is a pain.

I assume you are too far out for mains water? Or a bore hole would be more expensive to sink?

I think a new bore hole would cost more. Not sure but nobody has mains water - not even the nearest farm three miles down. Seems a lot of bother. I never even gave it a thought when we bought the place. I just assumed the water system was fine. I had it tested a few years ago and it was okay but I guess things change and they've brought new legislation in.

Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com