We did it...first solo hack, little bit scary!!

Bunnylover

Apr 18, 2008
Nr Chelmsford, Essex
I was determined this afternoon to get my pony out on his own, being as the weather was lovely!! I didn't think he would even go out of the gate without his mates, but, not only did he leave them behind, he completed a circuit!! I've only had him 6 months and we've been going out in company. I am a novice rider too, so he had a lot to contend with. He tried to spin round a few times to come home, but I tried to remain confident and turned him back round and pushed him on!! The scary side of things were that he spooked quite badly at a lorry on the way back, which seemed to make him lose some of his confidence and then feel nervous of a few other vehicles, when in company, he doesn't seem too bothered by anything. I tried not to let it worry me, but I did wonder if I should get off and walk him back, however, I stayed put and held my nerve! Phew, I was sweating buckets when we returned!! I would say 80% enjoyable and even with the spooking i was really proud of him. Has made me feel we can improve and move forward with our solo hacking!!

Is it just a case of keep on with this type of thing? I must admit I hate riding on any roads really, but where we are we have to go on roads to get off of them!! Any other ideas for building both our confidence, we do have regular lessons to get him listening to me, which seemed to work for the most part today!! Just practice I guess and more groundwork!! Gonna have a nice cuppa tea now, mouth was dry with nerves!!

xx

Fantastic, hope you had a celebratory drink tonight something a bit stronger than tea :p You deserve it.

You have come on so well in the past six months.

My only complaint is we dont see enough pictures of you both :p

First of all..WELL DONE!...you sound like you achieved alot tonight and should be pleased with yourself. I had a bit of a scary hack tonight too ( my mare bucked when speedster motor bikes flew past) and I'm trying very hard to focus on the good rather than the bad. It's a huge step forward doing things for the first time and you came back safely! Next time it will be even better and the time after that it will be better still. Have faith in you and your horse..( can you tell I'm also telling myself the same thing!) Also I can recommend a book on riding confidence by Liz Morrison..it's my bed time reading just now
Good luck with your horse
Ali-c x

Thank you very much for the encouragement!! I think you are right ali-c, a lot of my worries are in my mind and I need to trust my pony. We went out again very early this morning to avoid traffic, and this time OH came on foot. I just fear the worst on the roads and keep thinking what if I fell off now, or he did something and a car hit us. I have to try to think more positively. Having my OH walking beside did give Tommy extra confidence it seems. He went off happily without the other horses and didn't call for them or even try to nap back. I've persauded OH to come out with us again, just until our confidence builds more. OH did take some pictures, Essexlady, but i've just looked at them, and they have all come out too dark, will try again next time!!

Thanks.
xx

I know just how you feel bunnylover i had my first solo hack on thursday & it was excellent !! i have waited such a long time & finally plucked up the courage to go out the gate after 45 mins in the field we were doing so well i thought why not ! i was full of confidence then a bloody tractor came along & frighened the crap out of my loan horse & he freaked big time ! i managed to calm him down & stay on & ride back safetly to the field we were only out for about 30 mins but i was so pleased with myself i cant wait to get back out again when my muscles are better. i seemed to have pulled all my chest muscles trying to get back on him after getting out of the gate thats the only thing about being on your own having to do things that if you have someone with you makes life so much easier. & me being a short a-- does not help matters either ! if having your other half helps then keep doing that i had the owner going out with me it was reasuring to me & the horse try & keep to the same route then in time you will be confident enough to go on your own. what you were thinking it totally natural i was thinking the same what if a car scares him & i fall off in the road or he kicks out or bucks & what if i am in a filed somewhere & i fall off & he runs aways & there is no one around !! but then again anything could happen to you while you are out shopping & its not your fault
life is full of dangers as long as you are sensible you will be fine thats what i keep saying to myself & it helps me

newrider.com