Weather

Highland Rambler

Aug 7, 2019
My car wouldn't start so now I'm having to walk my sister home from her gymnastics session. It's chucking down with rain so I've brought her jacket with me but she is refusing to wear it because it's not the right one, so what can I do because our parents say that she must wear it and that I'm responsible for making her put it on :(?

Should I put it on her myself then explain why it is on?

You can't force her to wear it, if you put it on her - and if she's eight good luck doing that! - then she's only going to take it off again.

We dont know your age nor your family situation. This is something you need to address with your parents and the sister together. Not something on which you should take advice from a bunch of people who dont know you and are on a horse riding forum.
If you are not able to decide whether or not to zip up a jacket it doesnt sound as if you should be in charge of a child. And if the child doesnt do as you tell her, she should not be trusted in charge of a horse.
However I suspect this is a troll.

Perhaps this is something you need to sort with your parents. You obviously do alot for your sister driving her places. Maybe your parents dont drive, we dont know your circumstances. But they should be addressing their children's needs. You can only do your best, if your sister wont wear her jacket and gets soaked maybe your parents need to talk with her.

Reactions: Trewsers
I think a little bit more info needs mentioned here just so you guys get to know me a bit better :).

First of all, yes chunky monkey, our parents don't drive so they do rely on me a lot, which I honestly don't mind because I have a very strong bond with my little sister, I do feel they do rely on me maybe a bit too much though.

On this incident, my sister is normally good at listening and obeying me, so this above incident was a one off imho. Anyway, once home, instead of telling my parents (it was a one off I think so I don't see the need for our parents to know), I lay with her once I'd tuckr her into bed and I calmly expl that I quickly ran into the house after the car wou start and grabbed the first jacket that came to hand.

For what it's worth, she did eventually put on and zipped up the jacket once she started to get wet.

Hopefully that clarifies things :).

You are her big sister, not her mum. Your parents should be taking responsibility for how she dresses.

You don't sound mature enough to be looking after her if she doesn't do as you ask.
Coming to a predominantly horse forum to ask whether to put a jacket on a child puzzles me!!

But we guys are not the people to ask about probs with a sister or parents. Only a few of the women on here have children. Try Mum's net perhaps.

I suspect a lot of people on here have had children, or have nieces and nephews or friends who's children they interact with on a regular basis. Yes it may not be the best place to ask, but it's generally a friendly forum where you wouldn't expect to get ridiculed and hopefully someone will reply fairly quickly.

Reactions: Highland Rambler
I suspect a lot of people on here have had children, or have nieces and nephews or friends who's children they interact with on a regular basis. Yes it may not be the best place to ask, but it's generally a friendly forum where you wouldn't expect to get ridiculed and hopefully someone will reply fairly quickly.

Thank you :), that was my initial thoughts on this forum but this thread changed my mind for a little while, until this post.

I mean, imagine calling me immature and, one poster even accused me of being a troll, that was very hurtful :(.

newrider.com