Weatherbeeta or Mark Todd

DEBZ

Mar 20, 2006
I need a new under-rug combo. I normally buy Weatherbeeta as they fit my boy nicely on the shoulder ( very generous fitting ) Was just wondering if the Mark Todd equivalent is as generous ?

What are your experiences ?

Thanks

I mostly have only Mark Todd/William Funnell rugs (same manufacturers/shape) because they fit my girl well (16 hh id x tb). This winter I purchased a Weatherbeeta Landa Combo and it's a completely different fit and I loathe it.

She only needs a 6'3" in the Weatherbeeta rather than 6'6" in the Mark Todd. I find the shape of the weatherbeeta is very narrow on the shoulders and seems to be designed for a horse with a very thin neck (her's is not exactly chunky). The rug constantly slips back and I never stop yanking it forwards. Not a good buy. The Mark Todds are much more generous across across the shoulder.

ETA: I've just purchased a Rambo under rug combo which fits well.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about under rugs, but I have one of each in turnout rugs. Sadly, my horse didn't like the lining of the Mark Todd (might be a bit scratchy) and he did his best to destroy it. I also found that it slipped back a lot, and I too keep pulling it forwards. His weatherbeeta has been wonderful. One little rip in the seam inside from general wear and tear.

Thanks for your comments. It would seem that each horse is different - I have always found the Weatherbeeta rugs very generous in the shoulder. My boy is 17hh ISH and quite broad in that area.

I guess I will stick to the successful formula !

I have a 16.3 shire x tb and find the Mark Todd rugs the best fit for her (I have a lightweight and mediumweight). I have a weatherbeeta landa and like peanut I too find that it slips back (SO annoying :mad: )

Guess it just depends on your particular horse's shape :)

newrider.com