Wedding on a budget and at short notice

clashnoir

May 19, 2010
Nr Edinburgh, Borders
Hey guys,
I have been engaged for some time and now OH has decided we should get married. This year. In August!!!
OMG, well don't worry there are no meringues or churches involved.
I just wondered if anyone had done anything silmilar or knew whether in Scotland we can basically perform the ceremony anywhere? Also ideas wanted for a party/wedding reception so we can celebrate but this also has to be reasonably budget ranged too. No idea how many as we have a reasonable amount of people to invite to it.
Just for some background my OH is a head gamekeeper on a grouse and pheasant shoot and I work gundogs and shoot etc too so we wanted to get married up on the moor with probably my parents and a few close friends and my dogs to be flower girl and ring bearer. probably on August the 12th.

Gretna Green and they will arrange the flowers and cake for you, you just need to sort out dresses and suits! :biggrin:

Ooooh, congrats!!!

I think the idea of an outdoor wedding is wonderful, how lovely! Sorry, no help at all though, as OH and I got married in Vegas and everything was pretty much taken care of.

Just a thought, but perhaps you could save a bit of money by doing something a bit different like having a wedding "picnic" (you mentioned being outdoors?) weather permitting of course? Could close friends and such that would be at the ceremony bring their own little picnic and you provide bubbly?

Or how about just having an evening "do"? Getting a reception room somewhere instead of having an all day "do"?

Ooooh, congrats!!!

I think the idea of an outdoor wedding is wonderful, how lovely! Sorry, no help at all though, as OH and I got married in Vegas and everything was pretty much taken care of.

Just a thought, but perhaps you could save a bit of money by doing something a bit different like having a wedding "picnic" (you mentioned being outdoors?) weather permitting of course? Could close friends and such that would be at the ceremony bring their own little picnic and you provide bubbly?

Or how about just having an evening "do"? Getting a reception room somewhere instead of having an all day "do"?

Thats the plan as it means we could just serve up stovies or haggis neeps an tatties or something else like that. Evening do's are so much more fun. i also want a pig or a deer on a spit but really need the right location for that.

£105 from Registery office :wink: That's both the licenses and ceromony :biggrin: We've done pretty much the same thing, though getting married in July :)

My uncle is a wedding photographer, not sure what he charges though. lol

£430 for a small marquee

My friend too is a photographer so she was going to do the wedding etc.
Where about was the marquee hire?
still waiting to hear back from the local village hall but its not biggest hall in the world but their is a village green with it.
Got room for a marquee on the estate too...no electric or loos so would have to hire that too.

My friend too is a photographer so she was going to do the wedding etc.
Where about was the marquee hire?
still waiting to hear back from the local village hall but its not biggest hall in the world but their is a village green with it.
Got room for a marquee on the estate too...no electric or loos so would have to hire that too.

First one i googled

http://www.countymarquees.com/pricing/marquees.htm

Sounds brilliant!

My cousin really wanted an outdoor wedding (on the banks of Loch Ness no less!) but being Scotland, couldnt guarantee the weather...or midges! They opted for a compromise and hired a town hall, and got it all done up on the inside to look like a marquee. It was beautiful, the hall wasn't massive, but big enough to take the 100 or so guests, and we just pushed the tables back for the celidh.

It really was great, and considering it did end up chucking it down, was a good decision. But, I would say, it was a lot of work trying to pull everything together (rather than, say, booking a hotel and getting it all done for you), and it was just as expensive as a hotel would have been once everything adds up.

Sounds brilliant!

My cousin really wanted an outdoor wedding (on the banks of Loch Ness no less!) but being Scotland, couldnt guarantee the weather...or midges! They opted for a compromise and hired a town hall, and got it all done up on the inside to look like a marquee. It was beautiful, the hall wasn't massive, but big enough to take the 100 or so guests, and we just pushed the tables back for the celidh.

It really was great, and considering it did end up chucking it down, was a good decision. But, I would say, it was a lot of work trying to pull everything together (rather than, say, booking a hotel and getting it all done for you), and it was just as expensive as a hotel would have been once everything adds up.

I intended wearing my tweeds to get married in so the weather isnt that important.

you cant get married on the hills without your Highland!! That would just be sooo wrong!!

You'll easily get a groom but as for getting him clean......

Congrats!

Its possible in the time and on a budget.:smile:

You will be able to get married anywhere you wish in scotland as its the registrar/ preist that has the licence, a roaming licence i guess its best put.

We were married in England and arranged ours in 4 months (engaged for 7 years lol) and cost very little. What took the most time was sorting our marriage licence as we are living in Scotland wanting to get married back home in England (we are both english).

Venue wise again - you can find some stunning places at amazing prices so best to have a search round.

http://www.newlanarkweddings.co.uk/wedding_packages/option_one_menu_only/

I intended wearing my tweeds to get married in so the weather isnt that important.

Sounds good to me, the point I was trying to make was it's not all that cheaper doing everything yourself once everything adds up. Well, that's what my cousin found anyway, but she did do it quite traditional with catering, flowers, seat covers and all that jazz.

I think a spit roast sounds bl**dy good, and I agree with HH, you can't get married on the hills without your Highland!!!

Sounds good to me, the point I was trying to make was it's not all that cheaper doing everything yourself once everything adds up. Well, that's what my cousin found anyway, but she did do it quite traditional with catering, flowers, seat covers and all that jazz.

I think a spit roast sounds bl**dy good, and I agree with HH, you can't get married on the hills without your Highland!!!

It has to be on a budget as we are footing the bill and I really can't be doing with fuss.
I dont need seat covers etc. Thought of balloons etc for the table an a few decorations round the hall unless its a marquee. Just a few tables to sit at and I'd rather get a decent band and do some stomping country dancing all night!
You are right, Squiffy must take me up the hill if we can arrange a wedding up there.
Not sure of the ins and outs of scottish weddings at all!

newrider.com