Weight in relation to age

JOJOBA

Fluffy Bunny, apparently
I was just thinking really. If I were to buy a pony Id buy one at the bottom end of the scale with regard to it's ability to carry me. Similarly though, I would quite like a younger pony to bring on.

Now as some of you know I rode a 12.3hh exmoor at the weekend. He was 18yrs old. I felt fine on him and he carried me no problem. But I would never get on a 12.3hh 3yr old, and maybe not a 4yr old either.

I know different breeds mature at different times, but at what age do you think the 'that pony will comfortably carry you' comes into effect? 6? 7?

Ive just seen a gorgeous little native cross 13.2hh pony advertised, but he is out hacking etc at 2yrs old. Would you consider a pony which had been started by an adult at that age? And would you expect the same longevity out of it with regard to it's back etc? (obviously I mean once it had reached 4 or whatever, not to buy as a riding horse now. More, if an older horse you were interested in TURNED OUT to have been started as a 2yr old, would you walk away or not let it bother you at all?)

Im just musing really as I fancy something in the stocky 13 - 13.3hh range but also something between 4 and 6. Is it unfair to expect horses to be working more at the top of their weight carrying capacity (not to mention height too, as I could more easily unbalance a young pony) when they are so young? Or does it stop having much effect at, say, 4yrs old with most ponies?

xxx

look at petal at age 5 - http://groups.msn.com/nrphotos/esspictures.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=4219

and then again at age 9 - same person (me) holding her in both pics., http://historicalfact.com/~es/pony pictures/dirtypetal.JPG
she is twice the pony she was at 5, isn't she! and grown upwards as well - i look smaller next to her.

she is fairly typical of a native, she's not particularly slow maturing for her breed, although i've seen some who are.

that said, you weigh 9 stone or thereabouts and i happily break in 12hh native ponies at more or less the same weight but 7 inches shorter.

i would advise you on a 4yo NF assuming it wasn't a particular weed for its age, with no misgivings at all. you are nowhere near the top of a 13.2hh native pony's weight carrying ability.

i would walk away from any horse started at 2, regardless of breed, but especially native.

You have to remember a horse/pony is still growing untill they reach the age of at least 3 depending on the breed. That why to do a good job and to have a horse/pony that can be used for the best part of its life shouldn't be broken in till they are at least 4. You can then turn them away after being broken in, (this gives them time to think about what they have just learn't) till the year of their 5th b'day and you should have a super horse/pony. For example look at race-horses, they get broken in as young as a yearling, thats why you see so many racehorses burning out by the time they are 6-8 thats if they havn't had a nasty fall during a race and had to be put down before that. Therefore alot of racehorses don't get re-homed because alot of people don't want the problems they may face because of such an early start, of corse that isn't the case in all instances and many do go on and lead a happy life after but i think to break in something so young and to have a larger rider on top of a smaller pony isn't fair, it's problems waiting to happen. Not only that an adult may have broken in the youngster but how much of a good job was done, someone who's had the experience but is younger may have done a better job you don't know as you can never presume. Everyone is different, they each have their own ways but as long as you have quiet hands and a soft seat that the horse/pony is comfortable in all aspects you won't have a problem. I've been lucky enough to work with some super duper horses that have been out showjumping with some top names. Most of these horses now grade a's or c's working international and grand prix's and some newbies who have last year come into work now jumping discovery and foxhunter. They have all started work as a 4/5 year olds and going out and being placed in every event. Why ruin such a potential???

I completely agree - I personally wouldnt start a horse until 4, but since I would be looking for one which is already backed, I was wondering if one being started early would put you off then buying it when it was older.
And also at what age various ponies (Im thinking Fell, Dales, Exmoor, New Forest or small traditional cob) would be capable of carrying 9.5 stone and balancing 5'9" of rider for regular work. Plus tack and possibly a western saddle.
Would you school them at the same rate as a horse of similar age, or allow them more time to find their balance / grow into themselves?
Jumping isnt relevant to me because I dont jump and wouldnt jump a horse until it was considerably older anyway due to personal preference, it's just the schooling.

ETA - Mehitabel I cant get your second pic to work.

xxx

Last edited:
Jojoba I bought Bramble as a yearling

She was lightly backed as a three year old I was 5'7 and weighed 9stone took work very slow and easy

She was ridden away as a four year old as a hack primarily did some long distance rides could carry me at just under 10stone at that point quite happily for long distance but struggled with my ex's 11stone 5'10

At 5 she is working fully in all ways and can happily carry 11stone and can pull up to 40stone on her cart, but she is/was very very fit. I give her a couple of days off a week and haven't really jumped her but she'll school (green) and hack/drive happily with no probs regarding weight.

She may have trouble in the furture I suppose I really hope not with all my heart as she has been brought on slowly, but I will keep her through retirement whatever

weird, it works for me - here it is. you could break in and bring on yourself any of those breeds weight-wise - height wise you would unbalance a smaller one while it is still finding its own balance. so no worries about getting a younger but backed one. i tend not to school t al lthe first year - once i am on i hack out for a few months until the horse is cantering and popping small 'things in the way', and then normally turn away for winter and restart in spring, then i hack out again to the previous level of fitnes, but of course it takes less time second time round, and then introduce schooling once theyr'e fit enough to do interesting things. the main thing with natives is that a lot of schooling tends to bore them and they go sour - much faster IME than a 'horse', so you do need to bear that in mind and incorporate a lot of variety, hacking etc into their work. they won't stand a lot of drilling, as a rule.

dirtypetal.JPG

I personally would not want to buy a horse that was backed..no matter how lightly at the age of 2 years.
See it time and time again over here were people start their horses or ponies too young and they end up not being sound or breaking down by the time they are 7 years old.

I will not start riding any horse or pony until they are 4 years old and I know their knees and back has closed up. Xrays would tell you. With the slower growing horses like Fjords and Icelandic's I like to wait until they are 5 years old before I get on.
Of course you can do manners training on the ground and ground driving, to match the attention span of each horse.
Found waiting until they are older to back them, they are more likely not to have issues mentally or physically if you wait for them to properly mature.

newrider.com