Welsh breeding...

popularfurball

Learning all the time
Jul 18, 2005
North west
If you wanted a "solid" welsh pony, what breed would you look for?

Was (crazily) looking at studs, would want a grey stallion but they all seem to be show pony frog eyed look - I would prefer the solid build true mountain pony build - silver has fine legs but a solid head.
489687f3.jpg

Would 13hh be too big for 11"3/12hh?

It's a nuts idea... But just that little selfish bit of me would love a little piece of her in another horse. I doubt I could put her to stud - would worry it would kill her and then I would feel awful - but I like the idea just curious as to how it works and where all the hardy welshed have gone?!

My driving instructor had a team of very sturdy Welsh A greys, she won the Scottish pony team HDT championships with them They are very levell headed, solid types, I will ask what breeding they are.

She still has the dished face slightly but the other ponies of similar size on yard I would be worried to sit on... I'm not even sure how they see with their frog eyes?!

They are still out there, Bailey was meant to be old type Welsh, but his siblings held the trait better than him, your actually quite close to where I got him from, and I *think* this years youngsters will be due to make an appearance shortly :smile:
http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/foxheys+tornado I'm not sure whether they're still breeding off this Stallion

Last edited:
Have a look on the other Welsh Sec A breeding thread going on at the mo.

I understand the temptation. I know if I had a mare I wouldn't be able to resist!

Have a look on the other Welsh Sec A breeding thread going on at the mo.

I understand the temptation. I know if I had a mare I wouldn't be able to resist!

Those are the kind I wouldn't want - no offence to dannii - I would want a table build native able to carry me and do some hacking and Trec - ideally 12-13hh. Perhaps madam isn't as much welsh as I thought?

merrydown ponies are good, not sure if still breeding though. - actually just heard the owner has died - that is a shame he was a lovely man.

Twyford ponies are nice, the older ones are stocky.

Polaris and Downland prefix's are nice ponies too.

Isle of Wight Spellbound looks nice too he's a A

ETA: I like polaris dylan!

Last edited:
Looked up Polaris

http://www.equus-stud.com/stallions.html

Like the first two Nerwyn and painter man - Dylan still a bit fine in te face for what I would want (very pretty like Ellie though, just prefer a cobbler type for me as heavier rider )

Dylan is chunkier then painter man:wink:

Elle is very fine, she is more show pony type then welsh A type really. She does look welsh sometimes and obvouisly has some in her but more other stuff i think. (she has a straight face profile too)

ETA: My old welsh sec B pony was 'Wharley Greylight' The wharley stud has dispersed now but she was what was called the'old fashioned more stocky type b' if you google her name you'll find some pics of her being driven with her old pony and one of me sitting on her bareback - i was 10st just over in that pic and she was 21.

If you want something a lot stockier, you might find a different cross to a welsh A would be better. like a dartmoor or chunky new forest?

Last edited:
Find out what breeding your horse has and you might not be restricted to a grey stallion (ie; if she's homozygous grey you can choose any colour you want and would still get a grey foal)

I've already shared my thoughts on this in a recent thread, but I can't help adding that I don't know why you would risk your mare when you can pick up what you want vey cheaply/easily - and possibly a nicer foal then what you could produce using your mare.

Find out what breeding your horse has and you might not be restricted to a grey stallion (ie; if she's homozygous grey you can choose any colour you want and would still get a grey foal)

I've already shared my thoughts on this in a recent thread, but I can't help adding that I don't know why you would risk your mare when you can pick up what you want vey cheaply/easily - and possibly a nicer foal then what you could produce using your mare.

I would agree with this too, and it is a reason why i didn't breed from my welsh mare in the end, although i did look into it. She was exceptionally well bred from old and well liked lines, had been a successful show driving pony in her youth and alround riding pony. She had also had a decent foal previously as well before i owned her but i had decided that it wasn't worth the risk or expense.

Also, Silver is lovely but are any of her conditions hereditery?

I really doubt I would do it - I'm not sure how her slin would cope, I wonder if ahe would be likely to reabsorb due to autoimmune (stress related not hereditary though afaik), and she is much older for a (probably) maiden mare. She is a rescue so no way of knowing breeding.

I was looking at face build - painter man has less of the show pony face if you see what I mean?

I've never looked at breeding so it is interesting to learn. Rips I couldn't pick up what I wanted - the only reason I would breed is entirely selfish - so I could have a "piece of silver" so to speak. It would be a life pony just like my other two but silver is my baby - we've been through so much. Part of me wonders if it would help her too in giving her something to love that is not taken from her. On the flip side I would be so frightened that something would happen to her as a result of covering that it puts me off entirely! So it really is just a learning thread - and that I was surprised to find it hard to find non show type welsh. Ironically if I bought another horse after her, it would be a haffie, fjord, new forest or fell - so its not about wanting a welsh even!

I can understand wanting a piece of Silver :smile:

When I found Scarlet's half sister for sale she looked soooo much like her I wanted her...would end up with a wee herd of Scarlet's all with SI! S has decent breeding but I know she is a failed broodmare and don't think I'd risk something happening to her. However if I ever visited Yarty stud and they had youngsters I'd be tempted as I just love my girl :smile:

The pug look was quite popular with the Sec A's for a while but is a sort of love it or hate it thing among breeders from what I can gather.

Have a look at the Sunwillow stud website as they have some super ponies that are very true to type and are proven across all disciplines not just the showring.

Teifi Frankie Flanagan is also another of my favourite stallions

From personal experience, it can be the case that although you might want to breed from a mare to keep part of her alive, if the foal turns out to be nothing like her at all (either looks, temperament etc), then you don't want to be disappointed. I didn't breed from Puz for this reason, but if I had then Inca wouldn't have been what I "wanted" as they couldn't be more different!

Can't help with the breeding advice but I am :giggle: at your "frog-eyes" description! This is why I'm sure Sweetpea has Welsh in her. I tell everyone she has "the Welshie bug-eyes" but I may very well change it to frog-eyes now. Here's a really good example of what I mean.... it doesn't help that she's one of those that you can also see the whites of her eyes. It took me a good two weeks to work out that she wasn't walking around in a permanent state of terror!

Bugeyes.jpg

Your next horse!

I really doubt I would do it - I'm not sure how her slin would cope, I wonder if ahe would be likely to reabsorb due to autoimmune (stress related not hereditary though afaik), and she is much older for a (probably) maiden mare. She is a rescue so no way of knowing breeding.

I was looking at face build - painter man has less of the show pony face if you see what I mean?

I've never looked at breeding so it is interesting to learn. Rips I couldn't pick up what I wanted - the only reason I would breed is entirely selfish - so I could have a "piece of silver" so to speak. It would be a life pony just like my other two but silver is my baby - we've been through so much. Part of me wonders if it would help her too in giving her something to love that is not taken from her. On the flip side I would be so frightened that something would happen to her as a result of covering that it puts me off entirely! So it really is just a learning thread - and that I was surprised to find it hard to find non show type welsh. Ironically if I bought another horse after her, it would be a haffie, fjord, new forest or fell - so its not about wanting a welsh even!

Just to jump in with an idea, in October there is a drift at Beaulieu Road and another in November when the New Forest - forest bred - ponies are rounded up, weaned and sold, although I haven't been to them myself, I have helped rescue a couple of foals that were going straight to the meat man, and I know that some foals make as little as £10 or £20. NF foals come in a nice shade of grey too and the ponies are lovely, often good weight carrying, level headed youngsters, you can usually find their breeding as you will have the names of the stallion and mare, and can look up what you want from the catalogues before you go. Maybe that would give you a fabulous youngster to bring on but not risk your own mare. Having owned 2 NF's they are wonderful and the foal I took on was a dream to work with even though he was wild (and only 4 months old) when he arrived. These are the dates for this year:

http://www.nfls.org.uk/sales.htm

Just to jump in with an idea, in October there is a drift at Beaulieu Road and another in November when the New Forest - forest bred - ponies are rounded up, weaned and sold, although I haven't been to them myself, I have helped rescue a couple of foals that were going straight to the meat man, and I know that some foals make as little as £10 or £20. NF foals come in a nice shade of grey too and the ponies are lovely, often good weight carrying, level headed youngsters, you can usually find their breeding as you will have the names of the stallion and mare, and can look up what you want from the catalogues before you go. Maybe that would give you a fabulous youngster to bring on but not risk your own mare. Having owned 2 NF's they are wonderful and the foal I took on was a dream to work with even though he was wild (and only 4 months old) when he arrived. These are the dates for this year:

http://www.nfls.org.uk/sales.htm

This is the kind of thin I think I would end up doing. I can't really afford a third pony so would only have another once I was down to one - and I strongly suspect I would be out the next day to find one as much as I say I can't imagine having another one!!!! Whether it's a pony from here, or a rescue or project horse or a round up... I very much doubt I would buy an "obviously straightforward" pony LOL... You'd think I'd learn after having her!!!!

Finding another horse!

Popular Furball I am quite sure you will find the right horse to come to you at the right time!! There are so many little ponies that are going straight to the meat man, the Dartmoors and Exmoors are being sensibly helped now, but they would grow to your size too and the New Forests are usually a little bigger built. If you know the Sire and Dam you can work out which ones would get to your size too. I thoroughly enjoyed my little NF boy, unfortunately he wasn't going to be big enough for me, but he has a wonderful forever home with a family of little people!! I am sure you would love to "help" and there will be so many needing it! If I had my own grazing, there would be one each year as I really know that no one would put the one I had down now, so he is safe in the future, and that is a lovely thing to do.

I very much doubt I would buy an "obviously straightforward" pony LOL... You'd think I'd learn after having her!!!!

But of course you have learnt...... that anything "obviously straightforward" is faaaar too boring and actually Sil has trained you to become a secret adrenaline junky!! :giggle:

newrider.com