Welsh ponie personalities - what's your pony like?

Dark Storm

Well I'll be a Krampus's Auntie! :D!
Jan 4, 2009
Hadfield
Having had a conversation with Oh, about Bailey's personality, and about a couple of welsh mares I know, are a lot of welshies sharp, quick off the mark? Everyone I know is full of personality, they're so different to my other horse, even the geldings seem more a handful than others, they look to have tonnes of intelligence behind those eyes, and I found Bailey also to be very loyal, standing guard in the field when I went to check him.. I also find the ones I know were quite sensitive to change, one mare, used to attack any horse that came in before her, and if you ignored her, she's take a chunk out of you too!

Our Sec B is great fun, very clever, very cheeky but would never do anything to harm a human - he's very loyal too

Winds up all the other horses and can cause mayhem in an instant! Miss him since he's been on loan but dont miss the trouble he can cause!

Our Sec B is great fun, very clever, very cheeky but would never do anything to harm a human - he's very loyal too

Winds up all the other horses and can cause mayhem in an instant! Miss him since he's been on loan but dont miss the trouble he can cause!

That describes Bailey, even though he has his moments, he never kicked or bit.. infact I was always told how well behaved he was for a colt:happy:

June - moody, mardy, clever, stroppy loyal

Jazz - Little sh*t - note the vids ive just put on my thread!!! exceptionally clever, loyal when it suits him, loveable, show off, hot headed, inquisitive to name a few

Amee is very dominant, moody, stroppy, funny, cute and clever!

She needs firm handling. I am just about the only person she will tolerate entering the paddock LOL. Sometimes she lets my sharer catch her but sometimes she wont. She charges ears back, teeth bareing and turns and kicks. She won't do that with me as she knows mum is boss!!

She is very dominant but is in with my too big geldings (she is only 12.2hh) so she doesn't get away with it although she tries.

She will try to get out of ridden work if she can so needs a confident rider.

She is also cute like when I free school her and when we finish to cool off she just follows me around the menage every where I turn she follows, if I stop she stops, if I walk she walks. I love it when she does that.

Oh crumbs my welsh D.. Ultimately I'd sum him up as "a thinker" with a sense of humour but a kind heart.

* He has tested each one of the owners he has had - after being the perfect horse for the 1st couple of months he turned into the devil with a buck to match. The two of us that persevered & passed his "test" made a friend for life. Scared the life out of me at the time though.

*He is ridiculously nosy - drives me bonkers at times but it's very endearing

* He is a worrier - he anticipates everything and ends up scaring himself

*He is scared of everything and everyone on the yard and yet he is excellent in traffic and fabulously chilled out when I take him to new places.

*He is like a big dog. Loves playing chase and will even come jogging with me :skip:

* Under saddle when I can keep his attention, he is the most obliging and talented horse I have ever ridden.

*He is different for every rider. One minute he'll be prancing around like a snorty warhorse and yet when I put my friend on him who had only been riding 12 months he immediately turned into a slug.

*He is the KINDEST horse I have ever met - Whilst he has hurt someone because he panicked and ran through them, I have never seen him pull a nasty face, let alone bear his teeth.

He is my first horse and I have certainly found him challenging at times but I think he is wonderful :inlove::biggrin:

Milly is very intelligent, stressy, sharp to ride, funny, loyal, doesn`t suffer fools gladly, very opinionated and is 16 going on 3. :playfull: Probably like all the other Welshies, although she is only partbred Welsh. She hates doing boring things like schooling, but would happily gallop and jump all day long. I think all the Welsh are great fun but can be a bit of a handfull as a first pony.

Yep, I have 2 D's here. One 16 year old mare and one 10 month gelding. I love Welshies because they seem to have such big personalities. I am still getting to know Albert but know Rhia very well and boy does she have a mountain of personality.

Can be moody, loyal, to clever for own good, very opinionated and swears alot lol

:giggle:I think we have the same pony!!!!! I am ABSOLUTELY sure that Vicky swears!!!! Her facial expressions say it all...and its not pleasant!!!! She has far too much to say for herself somedays:spin: A very clever girl, loves life, very, very nosey and can be the most loyal, kindest pony....but get her on a 'bad day' a:) not good!!!!!! BUT saying all this, shes not like it with her little owner, she's always fab with him, just me who gets the backlash!!!

As for my section D ... well, she really does not have a care in the world....nothing ever bothers her...always happy and always the same!!!:wink:

Just thought of something else I always say about Rhia. FAR TOO OPINIONATED. She has to have an opinion on everything. Also, being too clever, tries to do things herself. I would run away if she ended up like a Cravendale cat with thumbs. If I am getting her ready to ride and she has access to her bridle, she picks it up and tries to put her bit in, if her rug is over the stable door, the second she finishes her feed she tosses it up in the air as if to say "NOW PUT THIS ON SO I CAN GO OUT" it is all behaviour that some could see as naughty but I just find her erm eager. She got a strop on at the weekend again when we got to a gate and she pushed at it with her nose, then got face on because there was a clasp :unsure:

Mmmm, marmite indead these Welshies.

I have posted this before but will say it again.......

When I bought my first Welshie D I was thinking along the lines 'this
is gonna be easy after TB's or Arabs, its ''just a cob'''

BOY was I wrong and what a quick learning curve it was with Morse who
was anything but 'easy' he was very sharp, very quick to learn, could
be extremely obstinate, but always friendly, too friendly and in your face:bounce:

Having mentioned my thoughts to a good friend/Welshie D lover she
couldn't stop laughing and said they were anything ''but'' just cobs and
full of their own importance, which I think is relatively true, not nasty at
all but very aware of themselves.

Now have Sioned, Welshie D X traditional, she is very laid back until
something upsets her when her full of her own importance Welshie side
comes to the fore:bounce:

I think if you treat a Welshie with respect you will probably get the
same back but I also think you have to 'earn' their respect as they don't suffer fools gladly, but
they have HUGE personalities:wink: Would I recommend one for a first Horse/Pony or for a novice.......
NO, although of course you cannot generalise, but still NO :smoke:

Last edited:
OMG, :unsure:is this what I have to look forward to, my youngster comes on wednesday, he is part welsh/cob, people on here already have said he looks cheeky.:redcarded::redcarded::cold::cold:

OMG, :unsure:is this what I have to look forward to, my youngster comes on wednesday, he is part welsh/cob, people on here already have said he looks cheeky.:redcarded::redcarded::cold::cold:

Notice most people with Welshies:bounce::bounce: OR as in my
case Welsh X's..........don't worry the traditional will balance the 'D':bounce:

Have had 3 sec Ds in my horse owning life....would I have another one - not on your life!:unsure: But if I was 30 years younger, still liked a bit of opinion and had the patience to deal with too much intelligence, too much full on self importance with a horse...of course Id have another one!:giggle:

Can be moody, loyal, to clever for own good, very opinionated and swears alot lol

Yes definately too clever for their own good. When Milly was schooled as a youngster and had to do something (such as change pace) in one part of the menage she would anticipate having to do the same thing when she reached that part of the menage again! We had to constantly vary pace and direction to stop her anticipating. I put it down to her wanting to please me, but then again she was probably saying "I know what to do so let me do it."

You will have lots of fun with your Welsh x cob.

I just totally adore this breed!!!!

They have far too many brains in those pretty heads, if you don't respect their intelligence then you will run into problems, however if you treat them in the correct way then you will have a loyal friend for life! They really will do anything for people they respect.

I have two welsh x cobs, one is 50/50 minimum and the other is minimum 75%, you would never know that the 75% has anything else in her, she is the image of her sire who was incredibly kind. Inca can be like a dog most of the time but it has been hell getting her through the "testing the boundaries" phase, and lordy does she throws her toys out of the pram when she wants to...but we're minimising the occasions where this happens now and she's going back to the little sweetheart that she always was as a baby.

scoobydoo - don't worry too much, it's all about the bond you have and as you are lucky enough to be getting him at a young age you won't need worry about someone else having made too many mistakes or getting off on the wrong foot. Also as fairlady has said the traditional really does make a difference, you still get the intelligence and the loyalty but the tend not to challenge you quite so much. You'll have tonnes of fun with him

newrider.com