We're doing our first dressage test EVER

squidsin

Feb 16, 2013
I've entered us for two intro dressage tests on 16th May, at our local riding club's dressage comp. Roxy is an old hand but I've never competed before, EEK! Do I need anything special in terms of kit - like a white numnah? Is that compulsory even at low levels? And I am guessing I probably won't be allowed to wear my usual pink riding hat?! There's some new rule about hats and safety standards isn't there? Do I have to wear long boots or could I wear short boots and chaps?

I need a new hat anyway, mine makes an annoyingly rattly noise when the wind blows! Ha!

Oooh good luck squidsin :) no idea on what you need to wear but have fun and make sure you have someone taking photo's. Any excuse for a new hat huh? :D

Reactions: squidsin
Good luck, did my first into test recently too.

I didn't plait ale, wore black gloves and gaiters with short boots and just put my hair in a long plait. All of this was fine, they didn't really seem to mind what you were wearing

Black or navy hat
Traditional coloured gloves - light coloured or dark, they don't mind
Beige, cream or white jods
Stock shirt and stock
Navy/black/tweed jacket
Ideally long boots, or jod boots and matching gaiters
White numnah
Plain tack with minimal bling
No boots or bandages
No martingale
Bit must be a snaffle (see rule book if you're unsure)

I would echo Ponylover. You do really need a white saddle pad, but jods and chaps are fine. I always thought that judges prefer it if you wear white gloves. I have never seen anyone compete in a pink hat, but you could just put a black silk over it.

I hate white gloves, I have always worn my brown Roekls for my (2 Walk & Trot) dressage classes and nobody said I was wrong to. Good luck! I am sure you will have a great time.

PS don't know what size hat you are but I have a very smart navy velvet hat bought for our one and only show and never worn since, you'd be welcome to borrow it. It's a Gatehouse

You don't have to have a stock, which is like a sort of mini cravat. You can wear a white shirt and a tie. I always liked wearing a tie (with school uniform) so that's what I have worn for all formal occasions. It was fun choosing a canary yellow knitted silk tie!

newrider.com