We've officially had Topaz for six months! (Long, with pictures)

Keket

Jan 26, 2004
Yes, it's been six months already. Topaz is up to about 970 lbs. :)

It's been a roller coaster of not eating, then not drinking, not wanting to be bridled, not standing to be mounted, not picking feet up, not doing... well anything, really.

And now she's almost a well-mannered horse. She's easy to catch, tie, grooming, tack and mount. She stands for the vet, mostly stands for the farrier (but she gets better about it every time he comes!) and will stand quietly while tied. You can just pop the bit into her mouth now and she'll pick up her feet and hold them for anyone. She'll stand and wait for you to take her halter off when turning out, and drops her head on command to make it easier. She leads quietly, and walks and trots, halts, backs-up and pivots in hand on command. She'll occassionally do a square set-up, but we're working on it. She lunges, and is learning to long-rein (well, okay, she's had one session today, but we're planning on more).

She's good at the walk and trot under saddle, and while she's only being cantered on the lunge, she's getting better. RI can canter her just fine and make her do anything, so we know she's capable of it, we just need to learn how to handle her. She's learning she can canter, and then come back to a walk and stay at a walk and that's just fine. She can happily canter a twenty metre circle without breaking gait. She only reared the once (very small) and she hasn't bucked in quite awhile. Her paces are to die for and she's learning to collect herself. She never picks up a wrong lead. She also did some impressive (impromptu :rolleyes: ) leg yields today with the long-reins.

And now the pictures, taken today:

Picture002.jpg

Picture005-1.jpg

(Assuming we register her, anyone want to put a price on her? She's Appaloosa, 14.2hh, 13 years old, touch of arthritis which doesn't bother her once she's warmed up.)

aww she sounds like shes doing really well and seems to be happy withwhats shes doing
well done to you and all your hard work!just show it really does pay off :D

No reflection on your horse or the training you've put into her, but here in TN, at 13 ... she's worth about $400. Price of horses is just awful at the moment.

Aw thats a good story, with a good ending, really pleased for you, she sounds like shes come on miles, shes a lovely girly as well. :)

No reflection on your horse or the training you've put into her, but here in TN, at 13 ... she's worth about $400. Price of horses is just awful at the moment.

:eek: Must be bad down there. Even at her worst (200lbs underweight and barely greenbroke) her owners only wanted $500 for her. You can't buy weanling for $400 up here!

:eek: over here in england she would be worth one hell of alot more the lowest you could get a horse like her (now) would be at least £1,500!!! i just worked out thats $2,895!!!

:eek: over here in england she would be worth one hell of alot more the lowest you could get a horse like her (now) would be at least £1,500!!! i just worked out thats $2,895!!!

I agree with NatalieR! If you brought her to the UK she would be worth loads! It might be worth it if you ever sell her. Prices hear are a lot higher (thats why I can't get a horse! hehe!)

She's lovely, and it sounds like she's coming on very well :D No idea about a price where you are, the UK market is completely different to your market, over here appaloosa's are quite rare so go for a lot, whereas they're a more common breed where you are.

I agree with NatalieR! If you brought her to the UK she would be worth loads! It might be worth it if you ever sell her. Prices hear are a lot higher (thats why I can't get a horse! hehe!)

:D I believe CER1389 claimed her some time ago if Topaz should ever find her way across the ocean. ;)

Prices hear are a lot higher (thats why I can't get a horse! hehe!)

Really? I was looking (out of boredom) at "Gypsy Vanners", your Irish Cobs and here they're like $22,000 for a In-Utero foal. While over in the UK it's loads less for a 8 year old whose actually trained, not to mention BORN!:rolleyes:

:D I believe CER1389 claimed her some time ago if Topaz should ever find her way across the ocean. ;)

:D :D :D

I was just going to bring up that unofficial agreement!

You know that she'll always have a home if she happens to find herself swimmign into this part of the UK :D

Seriously though, I think you've done the most amazing job with her, and if I ever get to the US (plans for 2008!) I'm gonna be dropping in on you guys ;)

oooh she's so pretty. In Australia you'd sell her for about $2500, if you didn't mention the arthritis (most people don't notice here anyway).

Wow, shes come a long way!
shes looking lovely! :D

Well, as people in the UK * LOVE * Appaloosa's (sp?) she would be worth...alot...i would say around the price of ; £2000 - £2500 ( dont know how much that would be in dollars...probably alot! )

newrider.com