What a morning so far

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Woke up to heavy rain and high winds. Girls had happily stayed in last night with Zi stood outside for what looks like some of it, noseying at them! Storm was a bit on her toes due to the wind and Zi and ran from one end of the barn to the other to "greet" him and fell over sliding onto her hocks:eek:no serious harm done just a scrape. But what a drama unfolded after that! Picture the scene, OH and myself trying to put rugs on and several newly fledged blackbirds dancing about our ankles with the barn cat stalking:eek: and in between this, Zi coming to poke his big ginger nose through any gap he could whilst I fasten Chloe's rain sheet (you can tell we don't need rugs often cos the first one I dug out had no leg strapso_O). It is still windy but due to die down thankfully. I had to grapple with a baby bird at one point (had gloves on fortunately so no human smell transfered) to save it from the cat.
Oh, and thank goodness the vet is coming tomorrow as Storm has bad breath again (he is booked to pick her teeth and flush) and she has dropped weight:(which normally I would be pleased about but not atm as it's too much too soon and she looks wrong somehow? I think it's a combo of nervous energy keepkng everyone moving - and maybe her teeth again. Any spare vibes most welcome!!! And any anti-cat-eating small bird ones too! I can't keep watch 24/7:confused::confused:
Anyone think the weight loss could be nervous energy being burnt? She is eating okay in the field and has cleared her hayledge last night and manages her pony nuts. To be fair, the field is pretty chomped down now, and they'll be going into the other one later this week.

And just one other thought - as you can probably tell, Storm rarely gets cold / shivers. But, today she was sort of quivering? Couldn't decide if she was addled at wanting to go to play with Zi or cold? Her summer coat is here and it's very thin, such a change from her thick yak winter one! Argh, not used to the weather changing so dramatically once they've shed!!!

I never see Jess shivering but she was with that crazy wind and rain yesterday and her fine summer coat, the wind was changing direction constantly and jess didn't know which way to face her bum because of it :rolleyes:
If her breath is a bit stinky then she's likely not chewing her food up as well as she could so first guess would be weight loss is just from the teeth, hopefully the vet can get her back on track tomorrow, of course the excitement of your new addition could have added to it :)

Reactions: lauren123
Thanks @Jessey I too think excitement could be a contributor. Her teeth need picking and flushing every three months - we've been following that way for about two years and it seems to work okay. However, last time, she did have a bit of infection caused by impacted gums which vet gave me antibiotics for. I just hope I've caught it in time, if it's a similar situation.
Oh, and she's somehow managed to chip a hoof quite badly, so will have to get Mr T to file it off later when the wind calms. Poor lass is dropping in bits!!

would she let you do her teeth? you can buy a gag easy enough

No, we considered that but she always needs sedating. When she first came to me she was not at all good with things near her head and face, gradually things have improved, but I don't think she would accept me doing that. I don't mind getting the vet more often, he will be checking Zi over too and I always seem to be asking him for something for one of them - this time it's something for Chloe as her legs are sooooo itchy and it isn't mites like before as she's not stamping. It's further up the leg......

Reactions: Jessey
OMG what a morning for sure.
I can't say much on blankets as I don't blanket my 2.
I only blanked Sonny the first when he was in his 30's

Wow I hope the baby bird fiasco sorts out soon.
I can only imagine how hard it is to try to work around and not step on them.

Quivering could be a bit of excitement.
This was not in cold weather or anything but Sonny the first loved to do Gymkhana.
We got the same number thru the whole series.
They would announce on loud speaker how ever it was worded so long ago
18 set to go 48 something cant remember what and 32 on deck
OMG Sonny heard 32 and he was all aquiver tense with good excitement
but if you did not know you would have thought he was freezing shivering!!

Hope its just her teeth with the weight loss.

Lots of vibes for a better day

Reactions: Trewsers
Oh blimey Trewsers, what a morning, hope things settle down for you soon and that is is just Storms teeth that are causing the weight loss. x

Reactions: Trewsers
Thanks all. I am almost leaning more to it being burnt off calories with the weight loss. She hasn't moved about so much in years! Since Zi landed almost three weeks ago she has gone from being a lazy field ornament to queen bee buzzing about and chivvying everyone from one place to another 24/7!
But of course it could still be her teeth - I am just so glad I had this visit booked in now. Otherwise I'd have spent ages mithering over it until he could get here.

Reactions: Jessey
Anyone think the weight loss could be nervous energy being burnt? She is eating okay in the field and has cleared her hayledge last night and manages her pony nuts. To be fair, the field is pretty chomped down now, and they'll be going into the other one later this week.

What a morning - hope your baby birds survive! There was a blackbird nest above Raf's stable and the mummy blackbird got quite used to people being about and would stay quite close. I got quite fond of her. But then a couple of the babies came out of the nest a bit too soon I think, they landed in the indoor school which is in the same barn, but couldn't quite get off the ground. We tried to keep the dogs away from them and they disappeared after a couple of days, but whether it was down one of the dogs' throats, or a fox or whether they learnt how to fly I don't know.

Anyway, re the weight loss. Raf did the same when he was first turned out in a mini herd several years ago. He spent his whole time trying to keep everyone away from the water and from the gate and I think he just wore himself down. He actually became ill eventually and I'm sure it was at least partly to do with all the nervous energy he was expending.

What a morning - hope your baby birds survive! There was a blackbird nest above Raf's stable and the mummy blackbird got quite used to people being about and would stay quite close. I got quite fond of her. But then a couple of the babies came out of the nest a bit too soon I think, they landed in the indoor school which is in the same barn, but couldn't quite get off the ground. We tried to keep the dogs away from them and they disappeared after a couple of days, but whether it was down one of the dogs' throats, or a fox or whether they learnt how to fly I don't know.

Anyway, re the weight loss. Raf did the same when he was first turned out in a mini herd several years ago. He spent his whole time trying to keep everyone away from the water and from the gate and I think he just wore himself down. He actually became ill eventually and I'm sure it was at least partly to do with all the nervous energy he was expending.

That's interesting about Raf and the weight loss. I'll be interested to see if it comes back onto her when things settle down more. I just hope Storm doesn't make herself ill in the end, she's a bundle of nervous energy atm. I could do with some really calm warm weather - it seems to chill them all out.

Reactions: Bodshi
Still can't get used to looking out and seeing the girls wearing their dresses lol and, this is a FIRST she didn't try and nip my arm when I rugged her.....well only a little bit maybe.......

newrider.com