What Breed Or Colour Would You Not Buy, Why?

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Just being newforest nosey bod.

A lady commented today that she liked Tilley, but she she would never have one with the blue eye. She is not blind in it, so i wondered why. I know it is personal choice, and what we like or don't like is up to us. But could you walk away from a horse just because of its colour?

Also what breed would you not even ring up about? Obviously based on my management set up, what i do and how i ride . I wouldn't go for a horse that said ideal competition, or anything over 16hh. Just don't need it.

Last edited:
im afraid i agree about blue eyes - i just really dont like them!

i do have colour preferences but wouldnt turn down the perfect horse just cos of its colour...but perhaps would if it had a blue eye - sorry!!

Me I don't care much. I wouldn't go much on grey's (all that cleaning !) but minimum height for me given I'm 5ft 8 is 15.3 minimum, I won't get on anything smaller - height wise - no maximum. Blue eyes don't bother me nor does white around the eye.

TB types (Sorry just not my thing! :tongue:) I like furry chunky natives! :wub:

And anything really tall! OH's hoss is pushing it at 15.2 wouldnt get anything larger than that! :tongue:

As for colour not fussed but i like unusal markings :smile:

Sorry, am another one not keen on blue eyes but i wouldnt turn down a horse that was perfect for me if he had them!.

Will only look at geldings under 15hh - not a mare person and dont need anything bigger than 15hh as i'm only y 5.2 and a fag paper. Only ever hack, so dont need an all singing, all dancing competition horse. Not bothered by colour but pref chestnut, always said i'd never have a grey but then Highland Rocky turned up:giggle:

All i've ever wanted was a nice, sane horse that will hack out solo, load on to a trailer, cope with traffic and like humans - not too much to ask you'd think:giggle:

We have clay soil, so i wouldn't go for grey or coloured. I like mine to live out, so possible mud fever.
I guess i don't notice the eye now, when i first had her it really stood out, but she has two.
People do ask if she is blind, i say no but it does change colour when angry.

Interestingly i had only wanted a gelding, but i accepted a mare. I love her to bits, but it is a different bond.

Last edited:
Rambo is bright bay with 4 white stockings, a big white blaze and 2 blue eyes! So a bit unusual!

stable.png

DSC_8326.jpg

IMAG0535.jpg

So do you dislike him? ;)

I love coloureds, but wouldn't have one as I hate grooming & cleaning so it would look like a permanent bag of sh!t.
Same with greys - love them, think they're stunning when see them sparkling at shows etc, but would NOT have one myself ;)
Personally find bay boring as it's so common (that sounds derogatory but I just mean majority of horses are bay). However I wouldn't turn one down just because if that as all the horses I've ever had soft spots for all happen to be bay (or is that because most horses are bay so it's just a small coincidence?!), would go for pretty much anything else.

Breed wise I don't really dislike anything, though wouldnt have tb or wb out of choice, but fact of the matter is that I am heavier so practicality rules to a certain degree. Take that away & I'd be up for anything - any height (pref smaller despite being 5.9), any breed any colour. Not fussed by quirks such as blue eyes & in fact usually find it sweet/cute rather than disturbing or unattractive.

I wouldn't buy a grey. William was grey & I lost him to melanomas, admittedly at 29, but I couldn't face that again & I know I'd be paranoid about every little bump & lump on a grey.

Breed I don't really mind. I prefer more substantial types & IDs are my big love, but I wouldn't rule out anything if it was the right horse. Obviously there are limits though, I couldn't buy something I'd squash!

Only type I am not keen on for myself are heavy weights, just feel like a pea on a mountain.

Colour wise I am not keen on coloureds, never been to view one, but ended up buying one any way, so never say never.

I know a little black welsh x with a star and 2 blue eyes, he is stunning.

Last edited:
I LOVE horses with blue eyes! :inlove: Colour wise, i dont really like roans of any variety, brown hossies and flea bitten greys, but if my perfect horse turned up to be one of them, i wouldnt turn it away. Breed wise, im not a huge fan of anything cobby or nativey (other than connemaras and some Section D's), even though all of mine are natives, im not really a huge fan. I also dont like horses between 15hh-16hh. Im not sure why but i just dont like the height! Under that is fine, and over it is fine, but when im looking at horses that height range is always the one i search last. :yellowcarded:
Although, if a red roan 15.3hh heavyweight cob turned up in the field, i wouldnt be unhappy... :angel:

another not keen on blue eyes or greys (sorry!) also anything bigger than 15.3 would be out and def don't need a comp/eventer! :giggle:

I'm a practical person so no greys or a lot of white (despite coloured being my fav)

Nothing tall as I hack so need to get on from the ground.

Nothing spindly as a horse has to be up to weight.

Nothing heavy as my hacking is hilly, involves difficult terrain and I like to travel at speed on occasion.

Nothing that isn't hardy

I'm not a fan of blue eyes either.

Flea bitten grey is my least favourite but that doesn't mean I don't like them Creamello is my fave and roans. I would love an American cream draught.:angel:

I'm not really biased when it co
Es to colour really. Never been that keen on cremello's though. I do love harveys colour though chestnut with four white socks and a star and stripe co- joined. My favourite colour however is palomino.

Once I would have excluded anything that wasn't a bay TB X.

Over the years I have known so many wonderful horses of every colour and breed that now I don't think there's many left not to like.

Don't really mind about colour of coat or eyes, but I wouldn't want anything too tall or too delicate, also has to be able to carry me with ease, so it looks like I will stick with hardy little native bods. :smug:

I love natives, after having a tb and a newforest, I now would aim for natives. I also love cobs, friend doesn't and asked if i will be clipping off the feather i also love long manes. That is the past i like.:giggle:

I like the Icelandics but can't see one falling into my lap.

Agree with posters about palomino, nice colour. I like all roan and most spotted as well.

newrider.com