What breed would you suggest?

Yes, I know what you mean, my freind got hers as an newly broken four year old, it's taken her years to get a good canter, but that is just as much down to her time as the horses learning ability, she is a lovely mare and her type would suit you well I think.
I've just been reading and that seems pretty typical of the breed and a long standing challenge. Anyone know any standardbreds?

I had a new forest x arab - absolutely stunning to look at and quite forward going. If I remember rightly she was touching 15hh.

Reactions: Jessey
I'm horrified at how inbred some Ds are these days. I love mine but every one I know has had soundness issues at some points and the drama queen attitude gets wearing. Shocked nobody has suggested a highland. Clever, hardy, get a good one and they can do anything from endurance to BE. My highland mare is such an adorable personality and so quick to learn. You do get a few over height but even the little ones take up your leg.
I used to ride a highland pre owning my own. He was an absolute cracker - jumped like stag and the most beautiful canter. If the RS would have sold him I'd have had him in a heartbeat.

Just as a matter of interest, where would you find a quality mule? I have only seen a couple for sale in this country all the time I have been browsing horse ads.

Just as a matter of interest, where would you find a quality mule? I have only seen a couple for sale in this country all the time I have been browsing horse ads.
No clue really but there was a couple on the western circuit years ago who rode and bred mules, I think he passed away a couple of years ago but I'd probably reach out to her to ask her thoughts.

I would have said to look at criollos or a mustang. There is a lovely lady who breeds mustangs in the UK sje has some lovely horses. Not loads just a select few amd sells as youngsters.
Welsh D is another but agree with some others they can be hard to ride for long hours. I've rode some beautifully comfortable smooth ones and others that are like sewing machines so I'd be inclined to look at something backed that you can ride if going that route to know for sure how comfy they are or looking to more dressage lines for smoother gaits.

Reactions: Jessey
I would have said to look at criollos or a mustang. There is a lovely lady who breeds mustangs in the UK sje has some lovely horses. Not loads just a select few amd sells as youngsters.
Welsh D is another but agree with some others they can be hard to ride for long hours. I've rode some beautifully comfortable smooth ones and others that are like sewing machines so I'd be inclined to look at something backed that you can ride if going that route to know for sure how comfy they are or looking to more dressage lines for smoother gaits.
Is that the Spanish mustang breeder? They are literally 5 mins from my work.

newrider.com